Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding Mill Planar Operations

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I will like to get some help in order to understand better the Mill Planar operations.

Lets take Finish Walls operation for example. In the dialog box I need to specify:

• Part Boundaries
  • Blank Boundaries
  • Check Boundaries
  • Trim Boundaries
  • Floor

What from the above tells me on which face I'm gonna work on?

1 REPLY

Re: Understanding Mill Planar Operations

My first question is - why planar milling? If you have a solid, then I would try floor_wall first, and only use planar milling as a backup. Planar milling is not something you can learn in a couple responses, but we can probably get you started in the right direction.

Planar milling is what we used before we had solid models. It is a legacy processor, based on planar regions, defined by boundaries at specific heights. These regions define defined the volume to be removed, or the faces to be profiled, on a prismatic part.

Briefly...

• Part is the material to be left when the cutting is done.
  • Blank is the material before the cutting starts.
  • Check is material to avoid
  • Trim is further containment for the path (not the geometry)
  • Floor is the bottom of the region you want to cut. 

For example, a blank boundary would be at the top outer edges of your raw material. A check boundary would be around the top of a clamp. A Part boundary could be at the top or bottom of a pocket. For each boundary type, you define on which side the tool, material, or path resides. 

At each level, the system looks at all the regions, and figures out what is machinable, what is not machinable, and where the tool can safely move. Then the system creates tool paths in the cut regions.

There is a lot of documentation on planar milling geometry - start with https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/10.0.3/nx_help/#uid:index_mfgmillingSmiley Tonguelanar_mill_ovSmiley Tonguelan.... I would review that, and ideally attend a milling class. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information