Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update tool database.dat

Hello everyone

We are working since NX7.5 with a tooldatabase.dat

Now we use NX 10.0.3.5 MP8 and can't displaye some tools.  Im trying to Update the libary but it seems to be not so easy as i expect.

First there was not the same nuber of collums. There was missing a    |   seperator 

************* MOM: TCL SCRIPT ABORT *************
User abort message: 
 Number of attribute ids in FORMAT record is not the same 
as the number of attribute values 
 in DATA record 
File: C:\PLM\nx10_reinach\MACH\custom\library\tool\metric\tool_database.dat 
FORMAT  LIBRF T ST UGT UGST DESCR MATREF MATDES TLNUM ADJREG CUTCOMREG HLD HLDDES DIA FN HEI ZOFF DROT THRDS THRDES PIT FLEN TAPA COR1 SDIA CTH HOFF ZMOUNT RIGID TSDIA TSLEN TSTLEN RAMPANGLE HELICALDIA MINRAMPLEN MAXCUTWIDTH HLDREF TPREF DESI 
DATA | d16_p3_gewindefr_hm_duemmel  |02|31|02|10| d16_p3_gewindefr_hm_duemmel  | TMC0_00002 | Carbide, Uncoated (Brazed and Solid)  |0|0|0|100| Parallel 20       |15.7|3|30 |0  |3|1 | ISO-Metrisch 60    #  |3 |3  |   |0  |8   |   |0    |     |1    |   |   |   |15    | 90%T | 70%T | 50%T |              |
***USER_ABORT***: Event Handler: C:\PLM\nx10_reinach\MACH\custom\library\tool\ascii\dbc_tool_ascii.tcl, Event: DBC_ask_missing_aliases, Abort: 
    while executing
"error "" "" "USER_ABORT""
    invoked from within
"MOM_abort "\n $message""
    (procedure "ASC_create_data_entry" line 63)
    invoked from within
"ASC_create_data_entry $line $db_row $fmt_inx  $file_unit $file_name $fp"
    (procedure "ASC_read_next_db_object" line 69)
    invoked from within
"ASC_read_next_db_object $fp $file_name $file_unit $db_row"
    (procedure "ASC_file_find_object_by_att" line 60)
    invoked from within
"ASC_file_find_object_by_att  $asc_mm_file_name $asc_units(mm)  LIBRF $libref db_row"
    (procedure "ASC_search_libref_no_abort" line 21)
    invoked from within
"ASC_search_libref_no_abort $dbc_libref db_row"
    (procedure "ASC_ask_missing_aliases" line 15)
    invoked from within
"ASC_ask_missing_aliases"
    (procedure "DBC_ask_missing_aliases" line 3)
    invoked from within
"DBC_ask_missing_aliases"*** EXCEPTION: Error code  1770006 in line 545 of D:\workdir\reference\NX1003_5\src\camsmom\no\ind\mom_tcl_definitions.c at Tue Apr 18 22:13:45 2017 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit
+++ Abbruchmeldung: 
 Number of attribute ids in FORMAT record is not the same 
as the number of attribute values 
 in DATA record 
File: C:\PLM\nx10_reinach\MACH\custom\library\tool\metric\tool_database.dat 
FORMAT  LIBRF T ST UGT UGST DESCR MATREF MATDES TLNUM ADJREG CUTCOMREG HLD HLDDES DIA FN HEI ZOFF DROT THRDS THRDES PIT FLEN TAPA COR1 SDIA CTH HOFF ZMOUNT RIGID TSDIA TSLEN TSTLEN RAMPANGLE HELICALDIA MINRAMPLEN MAXCUTWIDTH HLDREF TPREF DESI 
DATA | d16_p3_gewindefr_hm_duemmel  |02|31|02|10| d16_p3_gewindefr_hm_duemmel  | TMC0_00002 | Carbide, Uncoated (Brazed and Solid)  |0|0|0|100| Parallel 20       |15.7|3|30 |0  |3|1 | ISO-Metrisch 60    #  |3 |3  |   |0  |8   |   |0    |     |1    |   |   |   |15    | 90%T | 70%T | 50%T |              |, Behandlungsroutine: C:\PLM\nx10_reinach\MACH\custom\library\tool\ascii\dbc_tool_ascii.tcl, Ereignisname: DBC_ask_missing_aliases, Details enthält die Datei syslog

missing.png

If i add the seperator, there is still the Problem with the dbc_tool_ascii.tcl

***TCL_ERROR***: Event Handler: C:\PLM\nx10_reinach\MACH\custom\library\tool\ascii\dbc_tool_ascii.tcl, Event: DBC_retrieve, Error: can't read "ug_ctr_stype(DRILL_CORE_DRILL)": no such element in array
    while executing
"if { $dbc_cutter_subtype(0) != $ug_ctr_stype(DRILL_CORE_DRILL) }    {
#     Check consistency of these two field, according to the following rules,
#	..."
    (procedure "set_drilling_para" line 80)
    invoked from within
"set_drilling_para $db_row"
    (procedure "ASC_retrieve_system" line 908)
    invoked from within
"ASC_retrieve_system"
    (procedure "ASC_retrieve" line 2)
    invoked from within
"ASC_retrieve"
    (procedure "DBC_retrieve" line 5)
    invoked from within
"DBC_retrieve"*** EXCEPTION: Error code  1770002 in line 519 of D:\workdir\reference\NX1003_5\src\camsmom\no\ind\mom_tcl_definitions.c at Tue Apr 18 21:53:42 2017 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit
+++ Fehler in do_event erhalten. Ereignis-Behandlungsroutine: C:\PLM\nx10_reinach\MACH\custom\library\tool\ascii\dbc_tool_ascii.tcl, Ereignisname: DBC_retrieve, Details enthält die Datei syslog

The error with the "DRILL_CORE_DRILL" i don't really understand... because i use all the files from the resource folder.  As well if i use the tool database.dat from the resource.

Has anybody an idea what im doing wrong?

Is there a better solution to update this libary?

Thank you very much for every information :-)

10 REPLIES

Re: Update tool database.dat

If the only thing you did in the old library was add tools, and you didn't edit the tcl and def files, then this should work just fine. Some questions ...

Are you using the convert tool library command? 

In the old tool library, did you modify the classification structure?

In the old tool library, did you modify the DATA fields for any of the tool?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Hi Mark

Thank you for your quick answer

You are right i dident know that we got a cutomized  "dbc_tool_ascii.def"

The "DB_ALIAS" and the "UI_NAME" are translated in german...

No i did not know then there is a "convert tool library command". I will try this as soon as possible ;-) and give a response.

I took the tool_database.dat from the resource folder and added the tool-data from the old libary.

So the classification structure should be correct. But the the DATA fields could be not correct. (Wrong order,columns ....)

My try looks like this:

modified_data.png

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The German translation has no impact on this, you can do the translation on your own too.

It is mandatory to use the convert tool library menu item from within NX to make sure that any newly introduced column is added to your tool definitions.

Enter manufacturing and use "Menu => Tools => Convert tool library" to get the correct .DAT file for your current NX release based on your previous NX release.

You cannot just copy over the data lines, since the columns have dedicated meanings and their order might change.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

I made several attempt to convert the tool_database.dat with the "Convert tool libary" in NX 10

First of all i get asked wich unit i use:

2017-04-20_21h15_19.png

then will this error appear:

2017-04-20_21h15_44.png

So i decided to delete the row with this mill. But there is still the same error... with the same milling tool ( this mill doesn't exist anymore)

Im really confused...

In the message, I count 35 fields in the FORMAT statement, and 39 fields in the DATA statement, so the database is invalid. Each FORMAT statement defines the fields for the DATA statements that follow. You are telling the system there are 35 fields, and then providing 39 values, which won't work.

If the tool_database.dat file is this messed up, you can either fix it to NX 7.5 standards and run the conversion, or update to a new database manually in a text editor. I would start with the latest file from NX 11.0.1, look at the FORMAT for each tool class, and merge and edit your DATA records to follow the new FORMAT. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thank you Mark

Can you send me the new NX 11.0.1 tool_database.dat file?

I will update the libary manually.

But i dont understand how can i get the same error of the tool wich i deleted...

Is there a temp file?

Best regards :-)

Bernhard_Swiss wrote:

Thank you Mark

Can you send me the new NX 11.0.1 tool_database.dat file?

I will update the libary manually.

But i dont understand how can i get the same error of the tool wich i deleted...

Is there a temp file?

Best regards :-)

Your account is not tied to a customer webkey, so please contact GTAC for the file. You need to get the 10.0.3 or 11.0.1 file, depending on what you are running. You also need to look in the MACH\updates folder - this is where we add new tool classifications in maintenance releases. They should be merged in. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Phenom
Phenom

Hello,

@MarkRief

I have offtopic question.

It is possible to convert tool library from other cam?

I have  *.TOOLDB file I think from Mastercam.

I have no experience with librarys in this way.

I can share this file if you want.

thank you

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Create a new thread for a new question and don't litter an existing unrelated thread.

I will answer your question when it is moved to a new separate thread.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information