cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating a post for new version of NX

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

What is the best practice for updating a post made and customized in PB 8.5.3 to work with NX 10? We want to upgrade, but after reading a few post on nx 10 we want to make sure we get all the functionality the new version of NX offers.

Thanks, Damian

4 REPLIES

Re: Updating a post for new version of NX

Phenom
Phenom

In my opinion - the ideal method is to open a template (one that best matches your post) in PB10 and start putting in your stuff (have them up side by side.) This (to many) is not acceptable - but there is code that will not be complete underneath unless you do this. It could be that opening the post in PB10 and saving may work out ok. It will depend on how complex and customized the post is and how old it is. The thing to keep in mind is: the underneath code is changing. Some features see a lot more change - even new events are created in the PB interface. Only some things will be updated as a result of a simple save of the post in the new PB version.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Note if you have a lot of custom commands, you can export them to a file & then import them into the new post.

If you follow a naming convention (As I work at Moog all the PB_CMD_*s that I add are "PB_CMD_Moog_*") it makes it easier to sort them out.

Mostly I just open & save a post in the new version, but if you want EVERYTHING the new version has to offer, Study is correct - you need to create a new post from scratch.  For example, in turning, if you want support for roughing cycles (e.g. G71) you need to start with a new Siemens/Fanuc post.

In theory (if you are REALY brave) you can create a new "unchanged" post in the current version of PB, and a new (equivalent) "unchanged" post in the new version of PB, and compare the .pui, .def, and .tcl files to see what changed and how to move it over....

But that has many pitfalls & (in the end) is probably harder than just re-creating from scratch.

In any case, I would create (or find) test parts that test all the post's functionality, and make sure the old & new posts output the same code for those parts.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Thanks guys.  I will start fresh and add in the custom procs.  and thanks for the side by side PB tip.  I had no idea i could do that. 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, having multiple copies of PB open at the same time is useful.

Whether to compare old & new, or (if you have linked posts) to have all the posts open at the same time to edit whatever you need in whatever post it is in.

However "Screen estate" can get limitng byond 4 or 5 copies fof PB open at the same time (if you only have 1 monitor)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information