Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrading Post Processor files

I am not sure whether I have asked this question before or not. I did not find in my posts.

We are now planning to upgrade out Teamcenter and NX. We will be moving to NX 9 from current version of NX 7.5

Some of our post processors are developed using post builder ( NX 6 / NX 7.5) and some are using simply 'tcl' language (no post builder).

My question is - Do we need (MUST) to upgrade these post processor files to be compatible with NX 9.0.2 MP2 ? I heard that there is some changes in NX 9 itself which makes the old post processor files throw errors or give different output.

I am not worried about post files built using post builder but about the files written using 'tcl' language.

Thanks in advance.

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9
11 REPLIES

Re: Upgrading Post Processor files

It depends on whether the postprocessor is relying on mom variables that have changed (in meaning - usually fixes.) The feed ones have changed quite a bit from version 7.5. When posts are made with Postbuilder - there is a chance that some of the underneath code will help to handle the changes in mom variables. I think the threads on here I have seen about the subject will say - test with compares. You will find that operations will change the path some when regenerated (as well.) You may want to lock the tool path so you can compare the postprocessor (only) differences. We went through it (NX7.5 to 8.5) - maybe one in five postprocessors needed some work - none all that time consuming. That was opening and resaving the PB7.5 posts in 8.5.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

One thing I noticed in NX 9 is that if you call expressions into post builder and they don't exist you get an error. You would have to update them to use the catch command.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

NOte that (mostly) you don't HAVE to re-save posts in th new version of PB, unless you want to take advantage of something in it.

We are running NX7.5, and I have posts that are PB3.4.1, 3.5.2, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 7.5, 9.0.x and 10.0.1 in use (also posts with just tcl & def files, NOT made in PB)

And in my testing the (almost all) had no problems in NX10 as well

All the PB ones I am working on reifling in PB10.  (mostly so I can get rid of all the old versions of NX required, not because they needed to be refiled).  Most are, but a few have had major issues.  I would wait for 10.0.3 if you are going to use PB10 (at least I'm HOPING everything gets fixed).

I think PB903 was pretty good as well.

So far, issues I know about with with PB10 (I think all have IRs/PRs by myself or others):

- TK message maps not correctly defined (mostly fixed by the various patches)

- "Force" options on cycle words getting lost (supposedly fixed by a patch, but I must have done something wrong as I'm not yet fixed)

- If you use VNC machine simulation, issues with vnc_base_v750_tcl.txt (hopefully fixed in 10.0.3)

- XZC post, on right spindle.  G12/112/12.1 mode appears to be correct output, but (e.g. for drilling) if you use X = radial position & C = angle, the C value is rotating the wrong way (e.g. C10 is now coming out as C-10; C-100 is now coming out as C-260) (I have not received any feedback as to when this will get fixed)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

[ Edited ]

The force intermittent problems have caused me a lot of grief. I have had problems with axis addresses. I assumed that all words could have problems. I have tried a lot of things to code around it - it seems like overriding MOM_force and doing some things to improve timing issues has helped. I am glad that it is improving. Also I am glad that people (like you Ken) are bringing the issues up with GTAC. I have to assume in my role that version upgrades and releases/patches are not going to happen (I have no control over it) and I have to find another way.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

The force issue is (I think) supposed to be fixed in 10.0.3.

You could always create a custom command (either one common to all cycles, or a specific one for each cycle) to "MOM_force once cycle_step ..." as appropriate, and add it before the cycle block.

Another option, if the word is only used in cycles (e.g. cycle_step) is to just make the word non-modal (and if needed, optional).  But that doesn't work for X / Y / Z, and probably other words.

Yet another "do they really test this stuff?" moment.

Hello,
Do we know when we might be seeing NX10.0.3? and what we can expect from it?
Regards

Dave
NX10.0.3MP13
NX11.0.1
Production
TC10
Vericut 7.3,7.4.1,8.0.2

You should see NX 10.0.3 in about a month.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Hi.

I have upgraded the post processors from NX6 to NX9 and my observation is that the C angle is changed.Earlier it was C45 and now its C-45.Can you let me help to fix this with any update..

This seems to happen from time to time.

A couple options

1) Set the axis limits in the post to only allow ONE valid value (e.g. set C to "0 - 360" instead of +/- 360)
If you occasionally want other limits, add a UDE to reset mom_kin_4th_axis_max_limit / mom_kin_4th_axis_min_limit (or *_5th_* as appropriate) then MOM_reload_kinematics

2) wWrite a bunch of tcl code for initial/first move events to figure things out (i.e. are both rotary positions valid?  Is the one being used the one you want, or is the "mom_alt_pos" the one you want?) then set mom_pos, mom_prev_pos, mom_out_angle_pos, mom_prev_out_angle_pos as appropriate and MOM_reload_variable to reset the post.

Others may have better solutions.

Learn online

Solution Information