Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User Defined Mill Tool in NX10?

OK, so we've been waiting for many years to be able to use custom designed tools in NX.

We're still on NX8.5.  Does anyone know if NX10 allows to use "User Defined Mill Tools" in all operations or is it still just planar milling?

Jerry

NX8.5

8 REPLIES

Re: User Defined Mill Tool in NX10?

There is no change here - User Defined milling tools are for planar profile operations.

There are other new tool types and operations that may help.

BTW I hope you are going to NX 10.0.1 - as a CAM user you should skip 10.0.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

[ Edited ]

Yes, as a two decade long user of NX I would not dare to go to any XX.0 version!

I guess Solid CAM still needs to be used, as they allow any custom tool to be used.

And no, not interested in playing games, faking tools, adding fake offsets, just to get my toolpath. 

The problem is, that several tool-forms does not exist in NXCAM, e.g.

2016-06-07 10_37_08-NX 10 - Fertigung - [D1826396_0 (Geändert) ].png

This tool I only can define as a user_defined_tool. But I can't use it in hole_chamfer_milling !!!

Why not? hole_chamfer_milling is in fact nothing but a planar_profile-operation. So, why you can not allow user_defined_tools for hole_chamfer_milling?

[ Edited ]

Program your path with a normal "chamfer" mill.

Create a tool assembly.

Verify with assembly.

Attached is how I did an acme thread ... very simple to do once you get the hang of it. You can use any custom tool you want on any operation.

Normal Threadmill tool for toolpath

1.png

Custom threadmill shape for verification2.png

Normal endmill programmed for toolpath

3.png

Custom Oring tool for verification.4.png

NX11.0.1

Hello!

Fine, but what about the IPW? This is the problem !!!

Werner

Hello,

here is the same problem. How about high feed milling tool ? I work with cavity and i need the correct form for IPW view or for correct counting of the way. in the moment i create a chamfer tool, that looks close to identic.

here the form of the insert

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?fnum=2901&mapp=ML&app=61&GFSTYP=M

The number of the insert is APKT 1003R8T-FF 

What other chance i have to rebuild this insert and mill with a cavity prozess ?

thanks

NC Programmer
NX 8.5.3.3

nx_user wrote:

Hello,

here is the same problem. How about high feed milling tool ? I work with cavity and i need the correct form for IPW view or for correct counting of the way. in the moment i create a chamfer tool, that looks close to identic.

here the form of the insert

https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.aspx?fnum=2901&mapp=ML&app=61&GFSTYP=M

The number of the insert is APKT 1003R8T-FF 

What other chance i have to rebuild this insert and mill with a cavity prozess ?

thanks

I thought you could define that with a 7 or 10 parameter cutter. Do you have a drawing of this hiogh feed mill?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information