cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Feature Based Machining with TDM Tool Management

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Has anyone integrated TDM with FBM?

If yes, I would appreciate some information how you managed it.

If no, could someone point me to where FBM interrogates the tool_database.dat file so I could modify to interrogate the TDM database?

Thanks for your assistance!

Regards,

Tom

3 REPLIES

Re: Using Feature Based Machining with TDM Tool Management

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Tom,

I know that several of our customers use TDM with FBM.

My assumption is that you have already configured NX CAM to work with TDM, right?

Before you can use FBM with TDM, you must realize that the TDM tool classes and tool attributes are different from those of the NX ASCII database. This means that you can not directly use the OOTB/example machining_knowledge.xml because that is using the ASCII tool classes.

So you will either have to create your own (new) machining rules or you can take the OOTB machining knowledge and replace the ASCII tool classes with TDM tool classes (you will need to do the same for the tool attributes and the machines and materials; quite a bit of work).

To create new machining rules, you need to start the Machining Knowledge Editor and do a File New; the trick is to select your regular CAM configuration; the ones that takes the tools from TDM. This will give you an empty environment with the TDM tool, machine and material types (see the customization tab and expand the Tools, Machines and Materials nodes to see your TDM classes and attributes). Now you are ready to start creating your own FBM rules that use TDM.

To modify the OOTB machining rules (I would suggest to create a backup copy first), you should do a File -> Open and Update instead of a File -> New and again select your regular CAM configuration; the one that takes the tools from TDM. Check the customization to verify that you see the TDM tool, machine and material classes and you can start to modify the OOTB rules (replace tool classes and tool attributes).

The File -> New or File -> Open or Update steps above are the most important but they won’t work properly with the standard TDM / NX interface.

You will first need to make a few changes to the interface files (these changes have no impact on the use of the TDM tools in NX without using FBM)

1. TDM Tool classification (Slide 1 of attached PowerPoint)
  • The standard TDM classification (dbc_tool_tdm.def) looks something like this:
  • CLASS CD01
  • CLASS GD01
  • CLASS GD02
  • CLASS CD02
  • CLASS GD01
  • CLASS GD02
  • The MKE needs a unique class name for each tool class so the classification must be modified to look like this instead
  • CLASS CD01
  • CLASS GD0101
  • CLASS GD0102
  • CLASS CD02
  • CLASS GD0201
  • CLASS GD0202
  1. Tool attributes (Slide 2 of attached PowerPoint)
  • In the standard TDM classification (dbc_tool_tdm.def), all tool attributes are of type “string”. The MKE however needs regular “double” and “integer” values so that it can use arithmetic functions and comparisons (e.g. diameter < 12.). The standard TDM tool attributes look something like this:

DB_ALIAS VYS

{

DB_ID       TDM_TOOLVALUESEXVxVALNUMxYS

DB_ID_TYPE  s

DIALOG_NAME "Durchmesser"

RSET_NAME   "Durchmesser"

}

• That needs to be modified into something like this:

DB_ALIAS VYS

{

DB_ID       TDM_TOOLVALUESEXVxVALNUMxYS

DB_ID_TYPE  d

DIALOG_NAME "Durchmesser"

RSET_NAME   "Durchmesser"

}

1. Material classification (Slide 3 of attached)
  • The standard TDM material classification (dbc_materials.def) does not contain a MATNAME definition. It will look something like:

{

DB_ID       Name

DB_ID_TYPE  s

DIALOG_NAME "Bezeichnung"

RSET_NAME   "Bezeichnung"

}

CLASS PART_MATERIAL

{

TYPE   PART_MATERIAL

QUERY  "[1] == [1]"

DIALOG libref Name Hardness

RSET   libref Name Hardness

UI_NAME "Part Material"

}

• That needs to be modified into something like this:

{

DB_ID       MATNAME

DB_ID_TYPE  s

DIALOG_NAME "Bezeichnung"

RSET_NAME   "Bezeichnung"

}

CLASS PART_MATERIAL

{

TYPE   PART_MATERIAL

QUERY  "[1] == [1]"

DIALOG libref MATNAME Hardness

RSET   libref MATNAME Hardness

UI_NAME "Part Material"

}

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Greetings Tom,

Yes we have TDM curently working with CAM.

Very timely response. I was just attempting to open a copy of the xml file with update to load our configuration.

First problem was in the machine_database.dat file. We didn't have unique LIBRF identifiers without spaces in the name. Also discovered the DESCR field cannot contain the '&' symbol?

Got past that and was running into the material and cutter issues you detailed. Will try those changes if I don't run out of time for this year.

BTW, been a while....we talked several years ago about grinders when I had a different employer. Current employer has no grinders, so haven't the need anymore. Finally getting to work some FBM in at this location and looking forward to what we can do. We are primarily pulling step models from PTC and I hope to come up with a schema to identify the features suffciently to run FMB.

Thanks for the help,

Tom Horstman

In addition to making all the group CLASS names unique in the dbc_tool_tdm.def file, all the UI_NAME entries used in the dbc_tool_tdm.def file must also be unique. TDM and manual NX tool selection did not require this. Once this was done, I was able to open and update a .xml file with our TDM data. Now, on to the hard stuff....

I would also add that TDM has provided us with a script file that automatically generates our dbc_tool_tdm.def file. This script file may be edited to create unique group CLASS names by combining the TDM class and group names together for the group CLASS in the .def file. We also changed the appropriate aliases from strings to doubles in the script. Our .def is now automatically generated correctly.

Learn online

Solution Information