Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a saved IPW file

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Our CAM users are wanting to save an IPW from one part to a file, and then use it as a blank, for other parts.  The problem is, the IPW is a facted body, so they can't use assembly contraints to position it in relation to the other part.

They tell me they could in NX 9, but since going to 11, the IPW is essentially useless for this.

Is there some way to use the IPW, in the way that they want?

-Dave
NX1867(if it had versions) | Teamcenter 11.6 | Windows 10
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Using a saved IPW file

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

OK, it looks like I asked the same question last year, my apologies.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Save-IPW-as-compon...

I guess the answer, if KevinHickey is correct, upgrading to 12 or beyond, should help.

Thanks

-Dave

Phenom
Phenom

In this situation I have added a Datum CSYS to the IPW component and mated using that.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

We actually did that yesterday for one part.

-Dave

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Perhaps you should try the IPW Position options in the Blank Geometry settings of the Workpiece. This will give you the results you desire without having to export the facet body or position it in another part file. Let me show you how with a simple example.

Here I have a part with two different setup files.

Capture02.JPG

Note that the MCS position is different on both. Also, the orientation and position are different in both as you can tell from the Absolute CSYS in the lower left corners of each. However, the WCS has purposly been placed in the same orientation and position in relation to the part. When I define the blank geometry in setup 1 I can specify the IPW Position as CSYS and use the WCS as the specified CSYS.

Capture04.JPG

Now I can create my operations as usual until setup 1 is complete. Next, I will specify the Blank Geometry in setup 2. I will use the IPW - In Process Workpiece type and select the setup 1 Workpiece as the source. Before selecting the Update Local IPW from Source button I will again specify the IPW Position as CSYS for this blank. The specified CSYS will again be the WCS.

Capture05.JPG

Upon selecting the Update button now, the IPW will come into the setup 2 part positioned and oriented just as you want it.

Capture06.JPG

In previous versions of NX the IPW could only be used in relation to the part. Now you can position it anywhere with a CSYS. The key is to make sure the IPW Position is set to CSYS in both setups.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@jkane1  I'm going to sit down with out CAM guys, and see if we can work thru your example, on one of our parts.  Thanks.

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Just an update.  @jkane1 your info was very useful to our CAM guys, thanks again. 

We also discovered the "Save IPW as..." command, which is exactly what they were looking for, to create a blank, that can be reused, and oriented using assembly constraints, as a real component.

Thanks again.

-Dave

Legend
Legend

Our standard practice on complex part is to use a seperate file with this saved IPW only for the reason if you change a simple drill depth in the previous op it completely bombs your program on the next step.

Also a quick tip would be to wavelink your master file and create a new component with both the Facet Body IPW and the part so you can easily position it.

@DaveK wrote:

Just an update.  @jkane1 your info was very useful to our CAM guys, thanks again. 

We also discovered the "Save IPW as..." command, which is exactly what they were looking for, to create a blank, that can be reused, and oriented using assembly constraints, as a real component.

Thanks again.

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Learn online

Solution Information