cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a tool library

Creator
Creator

What I would like to accomplish is bringing a tool assembly .prt into a manufacturing file and drive cuts off the tool assembly v.s. creating an ascii tool. I found some example too assembly's in the tool\graphics folder however, I was unable to bring it into a manufacturing file.

I am getting a message stating:

Template part error: Part has no manufactuting environment-cannot serve as a template. See attached word doc.

I am unsure what this means exactly. I opened up a new part using our templates, brought in the part model into manufacturing, and when I tried to create tool, I browsed to the tool\graphics folder, and selected the tool.

Can someone steer me in the right direction here? Seems like it would be easy to save out a library of tool assemblies and then bring them in.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead
TDM 4.7, NX 9.0, Vericut 7.3.1, Solidworks 2014
14 REPLIES

Re: Using a tool library

I don't know what you mean by bringing the tool in to the manufaturing environment. It gets brought in for display if it is referenced by a library tool.

I see you found the thread http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/3D-Solid-Tool-Library-NX-CAM-With... which has some good information.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

I apologize for my lack of knowledge/terminology when it comes to NX. I am not an every day user. What I meant to say, is if I am working or creating cuts to a particular part file, and I try to bring the tool into that manufacturing module or mode, it will not work. I believe part of the issue may be our TDM tool library. I may see if our IT guy can hook up a seperate PC with NX OOTB and the default tool library and see if that makes a difference. I did find the UGTI tool assembly that you were referencing. I was able to open the .prt, but not in a manufacturing file.

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You cannot use a solid tool in CAM directly, you always need to select the corresponding library entry.

The solid tool will only be used for display purposes, not to calculate the tool path.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello 

Have you difind your tool in the "Machine tool navigator"

Machine tool navigator.jpg

Creator
Creator

To be completely honest, I have never even been exposed to machine tool builder. I will try to get myself exposed to it before I waste any more time. This seems to be a common denominator in the responses I am getting so I need to start there.

Thank you all for your time.

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Dustin -

I'm not sure who you buy NX from (Siemens directly or a VAR) but maybe see if you could get someone from sales/tech support) to come in for a day (or do a webinar) and run thru it, so you understand what is going on.  If need be, pay for them to come in for a day (not cheap, but it may get you "up and running" faster).

Note (from your signature...) As it appears you bought TDM, perhaps they could do something to help?

There is some info in the docs (and the GTAC solutions database) about how to correctly set up models/assemblies to use for tool solid assemblies.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Genius

Hello Dustin,

A video for explain the bases to define a tool in a library NX.

I hope this allow you to advance.

Emmanuel.

www.janus-engineering.fr

(view in My Videos)

Creator
Creator

Emmanuel,

In the earlier steps of the video, you renamed the .prt file to read "MILL_D42". After creating the ASCII file, you went to export and in the library reference, you pasted in the "MILL_D42" name. You did not receive a dialog box stating that the file already exists like I got. Do you know why that is?

Thanks,

Dustin

Dustin Beaulieu
TDM Implementation Lead

Solution Partner Genius

Dustin,

In first, I have create the file graphic of the tool. The tool NX "tool_database.dat" isn't existe yet.

In second, I have definied the tool in the "tool_database.dat".

The name of the tool "Graphic" must be the same than the tool NX "tool_database.dat". 

Emmanuel.

Learn online

Solution Information