Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volumill 5 axis

Creator
Creator

Hello,How to use Volumill 5 axis roughing..

Thanks.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwD6UPuvH3Q

10 REPLIES

Re: Volumill 5 axis

VoluMill is a thrid party product from our partner Celeritive. 

It it sold through Celeritive's resellers, many of which also sell Siemens NX.

Check out http://www.volumill.com/channel-partner to see if your reseller is listed.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Thank you..

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Raudi

Do you know if there are plans to provide a 5-axis version of Adaptive Milling?

Thanks

Tony

Legend
Legend

I am not sure about that. Development might chime in on this though.

The issue with multiaxis roughing, is the chipload and forces on the tool are different when you cut while moving a linear and rotary axis at the same time, as opposed to a 2 axis move with a fixed stepover and feed. With the high feedrates that can be used in Adaptive Milling, many machines rotary axes just can not keep up. Arcs would need to be converted into lines for multiaxis cuts as well. Another issue is the "heeling" of the bottom of the tool, and needing a positive lead angle to prevent the bottom of the tool from plowing into the material. 

I would do 2 tests.

1. I would test first do multiaxis roughing at the machine and record the actual real world cycle time. 

2. I would then do a standard 3 axis Volumill/Aaptive, combined with a multiaxis semifinish (to get rid of the steps from the 3 axis cuts).

Compare the cycle times, and I bet the 3 axis combined with multiaxis finishing would be faster in most cases. 

Adaptive and Volumill work great because the cuts are so consistent. You can find a sweet spot for the speed/feed/tool length and it will cut the same no matter where it is on the part. Switching to multiaxis throws all that consistency out the window. 

I'll probably be wrong in another 15 years though. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP2 Primarily CAM

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply.

Oh If only I had a machine tool! Smiley Happy

ref comparable cycle times... I am inclined to agree with you however my customer also has a license of ... a certain other CAM system... that does this and so I'm on the back foot :-).

I also used to use the same logic when 5-axis machining was emerging i.e. 3-axis vs 5-axis to insist that "it wasn't worth the cost"... did anyone listen!

Thanks

Tony

Legend
Legend

Yes,

While it might look cool when it runs, cycle times and tool life will drive cost, and are more important. 

There are probably certain shapes where it would be an advantage to full simultaneous 5axis rough, but for hogging out lots of material (90% chips) parts, I doubt full simultaneous 5axis will ever win. 

Sort of like why we don't have supersonic commercial jet flight anymore. It's cool, faster, and possible, but still not economical. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP2 Primarily CAM

Legend
Legend

Yes... The only time I use "5 axis roughing" is deep cavities with a ball mill.

You can set Cavity Mill with Tool = Ball, and trichodial cutting. And you take small doc and then you can use tilt tool axis. This works very well and I've even done it with kennametal ball endmills in Titanium very deep..

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hi Tony and others,

5X Roughing is being developed nowadays and it will allow using the adaptive pattern. see my related post. I share the concerns about how it would work on a machine tool, but with a certian type of parts where the floor curvature is not high - it might still make sence. to avoid heel digging issue - flat end mills and bull nose tools would only follow the cut level normal. for ball tools we will allow the tool to go below overhanging walls. 

An EAP version having some of the functionality should be available in ~6 weeks. if you want to try any of your part - send it to me togather with the tool you intend to use and machining data (i.e. stepover, depth of cut) and I will generate some toolpaths using the development code. 

yours

Eddy Finaro
NX CAM Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Builder
Builder

Hi @Eddy_Finaro Eddy,

I'd like to join your EAP for both this and the trochoidal tool paths over a cylindrical surface. I don't seem to get the link that you have added here. However, I'd like to say that, being a new NX CAM customer, I am still struggling with the post processor and these 5 axis paths that I currently use are in the Autodesk Fusion 360, which I still use due to woes with NXCam post-configurator, which allows some of these paths to get generated.

I'd like to try them out with NX. The tools we use, however, are not all ball mills. We use barrel tools by Garant, Emuge Franken, for both walls and floors. The floor tools have a radius on them on the end, which allows one to tilt them and work on the base of the part. Therefore doing such strategies for ball mills alone is not sufficient. I'll send you a couple of photos of what we use.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Naresh

Learn online

Solution Information