Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Volumill 5 axis

Innovator
Innovator

2018-10-20 09.10.53.jpgThese are two of the wall machining barrel tools we use. There are many companies that have begun to make these as well as for floor machining. Both for floor and walls, using just ball mills is neither adequate nor the state-of-the-art.

Best regards,
Naresh

Legend
Legend

It will be interesting to see if defining a tapered ball endmill in NX will work for the new multiaxis roughing.

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP7 Primarily CAM

Innovator
Innovator

@TechniCsNC

The barrel tool that I've made a photo of is not a tapered ball EM, its a two radius barrel. The tools that this should work with are the following:

1. Ball EM

2. Tapered Ball EM (Where there is a constant taper upto the max dia of the EM from a ball shape at the business end of the tool) we have a tool with D20mm and a 30deg included angle from SECO with this shape.

3. Barrel tool, (where there is a small radius at the end, which is tangential to another very large radius, and that large radius is tangential to the max dia of the EM).

4. Barrel tool for floors, also called as the lens tool, this has a radius on the tip, then a large radius on the bottom edge, and then a small radius tangential to the outer dia of the EM. These are used to do the floors of deep pockets and are usually tilted at an angle to the axis.

I would hope that all these tools would work with the strategy.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Naresh

Legend
Legend

@nashero wrote:

Hi @Eddy_Finaro Eddy,

I'd like to join your EAP for both this and the trochoidal tool paths over a cylindrical surface. I don't seem to get the link that you have added here. However, I'd like to say that, being a new NX CAM customer, I am still struggling with the post processor and these 5 axis paths that I currently use are in the Autodesk Fusion 360, which I still use due to woes with NXCam post-configurator, which allows some of these paths to get generated.

I'd like to try them out with NX. The tools we use, however, are not all ball mills. We use barrel tools by Garant, Emuge Franken, for both walls and floors. The floor tools have a radius on them on the end, which allows one to tilt them and work on the base of the part. Therefore doing such strategies for ball mills alone is not sufficient. I'll send you a couple of photos of what we use.

Thank you.

Since when did Fusion add support for circle segment / barrel tools?

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Innovator
Innovator

Hi Dennis @Dstryr

Don't remember of the version number, but as a standard the conical tools are supported, the two radius tools can be made by one as a non-standard profile tool. We use a lot of such profile tools. The tool path that I've used with some success with the barrel tools and also conical barrel (with a 30deg included angle, the tool I used is this one from SECO: HK150-0652) is the swarf toolpath.

Fusion360 being under rapid development, earlier there were only two 5ax tool paths now there are three, swarf, multiaxis contour and flow. Anyhow, this is not a discussion on Fusion, which is a very valid system in its own right, but it is a basic system, as is reflected in its price.

Best regards,
Naresh

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi Eddy

Thanks for your input. I am trying to get a part from the customer or at least enough info about the parts he has in mind so I can model something to try. I will also keep you posted about becoming part of the EAP as it may benefit this customer. 

Thanks

Tony

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

hi,

@nashero

just for interest, one customer do some demo and use these tool types.

It would be good we could use in operation such tools to create program.

(I log ER to GTAC)

ccc.JPG

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Innovator
Innovator

@Juraj

This is exactly what I meant. We don't have these tools, which I believe have been introduced recently by hitachi in the mold and die market. I'd like to use them as well! These will be more economical w.r.t. the tools I use. 

Thanks for attaching the images!

Best regards,
Naresh

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked at defining them as 7 or 10 parameter tools?

(just asking, maybe they can't be)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I  created 9291443 er  week ago.

simple lens tool could be created by 7,10 parameter mill (I hope)

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Learn online

Solution Information