Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Want unlimited shank segments on tools????

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Bumping this every few days will not move the request higher in the list of enhancements.

Let the mill stones do their work.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Legend
Legend

Shank.JPG

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Smiley Tongue

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Innovator
Innovator

Bump, Bump!

Another bump for parametrically defined shanks. Its paramount that relief portion of the tools is taken into account while doing collision checking, since sometimes, there is just no way that one can avoid touching the cutting radius where there is an existing relief, that is what a relief is for.

I need to define tools that are held in arbor where the nut sticks out from the bottom of the tool. I've had a crash with something like that a few years back. Anyone interested in photos/images I'm happy to obilige but nx folks should take this seriously to remedy this quickly. 

Thanks for this thread!

Best regards,
Naresh

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Changing the tool definition also forces a change of all tool path calculation processors of every operation type that needs to support it. I think that this will end up as a few man-years of work, so the only thing that helps in this regard is to be patient.

Sure we all want it as soon as possible, but we also can work around this missing feature. The work-around is to use holder segments as shank segments or to specify one shank that covers the volume of all shank segments.

Work-arounds' are not ideal, but we can at least continue to work.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Innovator
Innovator

Understood! I'm definitely willing to wait so long as we know that this is on the roadmap!

Best regards,
Naresh

Phenom
Phenom

I have used T-Cutter tool type to define shanked tools. There are limitations with operation type, so you will have to test. 

Shanked tool using t-cutter.PNG

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Siemens Phenom

Stefan Pendl's explanation pretty much describes the situation.

It is good to see the passion in this forum to make important requests more visible.You can add yourself to the ER in the beginning of the thread or file an additional ER with part data/ pictures. This would actually be much more helpful for our internal processes.

Thanks again guys

Innovator
Innovator

Our job and passion is to deliver high quality consistent parts to our customers, both internal and external, within a stipulated time at a competitive price. NXCAM is a crucial element in the process, but is not the only element. That said the "stipulated time" is the biggest bottleneck, since when the parts are bid and internally scheduled, every second counts and any time lost is directly proportional to business lost. We can wait for a while but not too long since our competitors, using other s/w tools may beat us in our main objectives above.

Out of the over 300 or so tools that we use internally, I can only count a few that will be able to be completely parametrically defined using NXCAM. Would you like us to post images of the remain 280 or so tools here? I can begin with a couple that are sitting on my table here, just to show you that even the simple endmill the diver by guhring on the top of the photograph, cannot be modeled even if it looks deceptively similar to the NXCAM tool, since it has a relief till the point where the taper starts. The cutter model should ideally have the possibility of defining the cutting edge, in many cases there is small  land on the bottom face, a radius and a small land on the side face then a slight clearance angle then a chamfer to the relief, then the reliefed part of the tool, then the taper that goes up to the stem. Very few low priced tools have only a parallel face then a taper to the stem. 

2018-12-20 10.00.08.jpg

@AlexanderFreund wrote:

It is good to see the passion in this forum to make important requests more visible.You can add yourself to the ER in the beginning of the thread or file an additional ER with part data/ pictures. This would actually be much more helpful for our internal processes.

Best regards,
Naresh

Siemens Phenom

The request is well understood. Still, it has to be prioritized against other important items in our backlog.

I'll let you know, when there is news :-)

Learn online

Solution Information