Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Want unlimited shank segments on tools????

Creator
Creator

Hi Alexander,

it would be very very helpful to have more shank steps. Now the workaround is to create more holder steps but if you want to save the holders in a database, it´s not possible. Sorry, but in every cam system I have seen in the past it´s possible to create more shank steps. Please it´s Chrsitmas ;-)

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Some explanation of the term man-year used to describe development times.

One man-year means that one developer would need one year to finish the task.

So if it takes six months to implement the changes into one tool path generation processor and there are about 30 processors to implement this change, it would take one developer 15 years to implement this.

Depending on how modular the code is written, it might be possible to have two developers work on one processor, you would need 60 developers to have the task finished within three month.

The best way to increase the importance of this enhancement is to file "me too" enhancement requests at GTAC, since the more customers need this the higher gets the priority.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX12.0.2, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX (1876) | AWC 3.4 Preparing: -

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Creator
Creator

Okay, I understand. But the challenge for Siemens is to get better than other ones. And to have this function is just trivial! We use a lot of complex and expensive tools with a precise shank gemoetry and to use the best and shortest tool what is possible we nee to define it very precise to avoid collisions. Our parts are often in areas of tolerances by +-5µm and also less than this.

Phenom
Phenom

Another issue with using holder segments as the tool, is that the generated tool list calculates the "reach" from the end of the holder to the tip of the tool. If the holder is part of the tool, the reach will show a shorter value than it actually is. I have seen this cause headaches over the years, at many different shops, from many different users. People just learned to deal with it other ways.

@Gedoense You are right about not being able to export to database. If you send a tool that uses the holder segments as shank to the library, you end up with a holder in the library with part of the tool shanks attached, and missing part of the tool. You can write in the "holder description" that it's part of an assembly, but it's still very confusing for the next guy digging through the library. 

Most users (at least the ones I have come across at 20 places I contracted at) do not call in for support or use GTAC. Half do not even know what it is. They come in to work and find a way to get it done. I wish the average user was more involved so the feedback would be better, but that's kind of like asking people to vote I guess. 

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Legend
Legend

I agree... What seems like a simple work around. Is not the end transaction in this case.

Because proper tool description is such an intrigal part of the process this minor modification to a shank via tool holder segments does cause additional issues...

- Report shortest tool issues

- Set-up sheet instructions (which report tool projection from the holder)

- Tool Library issues

** to name a few

The holder needs to be the holder.(period)

Cutting portion of the tool.. just that.

All non-cutting shank segments... accurately described

If I'm in ISV and I thought accurately modeling the coolant nozzles on the spindle will give me less interference issues, on the floor, I do it.

These tool shanks are integral to the milling process (need more shank).

I will... and ask other to go hop on the me too for ER# 9262232

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Legend
Legend

To get on the ER. I submitted an on-line IR (because I couldn't look it up).

There was a reconfiguration to the system and you can not look up IR's, PR's or ER's submitted by companies other than your own.

But I discovered ER# 9262232 is a collection of many shank related issues, so it should have some weight.

Add  yourself to it... We can get this done!!

Creator
Creator
How can I find this ER? On GTAC i Cant find it.

Legend
Legend

Correct. It cannot be looked up. You have to submit an IR to get your name on it.
I typically do this on the GTAC website, hit the button for "Create or Update a Support Ticket"

Paul S.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Not to muddy the waters but an alternative solution could be to have multiple holders that could be added together. Internally NX would have one holder so none of the toolpath processors would need changes. I don't think the holder database would need changes however some new groups such as "extensions"  might be nice for programmer clarity. One bonus would be that each holder could be adjusted relative to the next holder using the offset that is already available for tools vs holder.

Just an idea and a happy and productive new year to all, Eric

Legend
Legend

Maybe an even easier solution would be to just create a couple new tool types so all the legacy stuff can be left alone?

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Learn online

Solution Information