Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Want unlimited shank segments on tools????

Phenom
Phenom

@RKYMNT8560

I have thought about that too. Being able to designate a segments as an extension, even with a different color would be very helpful. Having holder segments highlight when you are editing them would also help. When I train new users they always spend a lot of time fumbling around with tool and holder creation. 

I figured I would start with shanks. If asked for too many things at once, nothing gets done. Kind of like if I am expected to program 3 parts at once. I end up going home and feeling  like I didn't do anything that day.   Smiley Happy

Glenn Balon
Production: NX 12.0.2 MP10 Primarily CAM

Creator
Creator

Hi @ all,

In my point of view the tool creation dialog is not up to date and it´s important to optimize it. It would be very helpful and save much time during the programming process.

The state of the art is, that a tool has more shank elements than just one or two components. To make a collision check to find out the shortest possible tool, you have design the tool as it is. A milling tool only consists of a cutting flute and a shank and the shank is none cutting area. The tool holder is a sperate part and it doesn´t consists to the milling tool. We need the overhang of the tool for setup sheets because it´s always necessary to shrink the tool as short as possible. And then it´s easy to create a good and clean tool data base.

Phenom
Phenom

@Gedoense Vericut had a nice feature I remember using that would list the amount you could adjust the reach of the tool before it touches the part or collides. You could specify a clearance value and it would list the amount you can adjust after you verify. I hope NX follows their lead on this. 

While on the subject of shanks, I also have noticed that during collision checking it will say the holder is colliding with IPW, when clearly it is part of the tool, and not the holder. 

Shank Collision.PNG

Glenn Balon

Creator
Creator

Hi Glenn, thanks for this, but I´ve no possibility to use Vericut. If you look on other cam systems like hypermill or powermill, you are always able to desing detailed tools. So why use an extra software just to find out the minum tool length?

Phenom
Phenom

@Gedoense I agree, I used to have Vericut, but no longer do.

I think comparing between different CAM systems is a good way to discover any shortcomings that any one system has. I have trained people in the past on NX who were users of other CAM softwares. While they are often amazed by the capabilities and advantages NX has, they are also just as amazed by what it can not do in some cases. Tool/Holder creation has always been an issue for new users. They seem to learn and pick up the operations/toolpaths easier than tool creation.

Glenn Balon

Legend
Legend

@Dstryr wrote:

Maybe an even easier solution would be to just create a couple new tool types so all the legacy stuff can be left alone?

Did this ever get any traction?

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Creator
Creator

This is an good idea! Just create a new tool type liek a user defined tool!!!

Please Siemens, go forward with this!!!

Legend
Legend

I was thinking they have a button to activate a shank.

Just have a couple more activate shank buttons.

This way if shank 1 was previously in use all would be well.

but you could add one or two more,...

This would eliminate my need to modify tool holders for special tool requirements.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Phenom
Phenom

@psch_wny  Exactly.... It should behave the way the tool holder does, by adding segments. Except it would be contained within in the tool, and not related to the holder. 

Using "holder" as part of the tool is a workaround that causes a lot of grief here. Tool list "reaches" are incorrect, then when you export a tool to the library you end up having to name a "holder" that isn't actually a holder, because it is "shank" of a tool. If you do not define a holder name, you end up with a system generated name for that holder that creates a mess in the library. 

Glenn Balon

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Bump

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Get-a-sneak-peak-a...

Please take a look :-)

Lead Product Manager - Mold & Die

Learn online

Solution Information