Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Warning after Updating FBM Machining Knowledge from NX 8.5 to NX10

Hello there,

I am updating a machining knowledge from NX 8.5 to NX 10 (NX 10.0.3.5 MP4). I "open and update" the .xml file in MKE, and edited the machining rules so that the warnings and errors were gone. 

However, when I used this machining knowledge in NX 10, a message poped up:

WARNING: Your machining knowledge file was previously saved using an incorrect XML encoding ('iso-8859-1').

machining knowledge file: 'I:\UG_STANDARDS\Mach10.0\resource\machining_knowledge\HDPE_Backplate_OP1.xml'

This may have a negative impact on the display of multi-byte characters for non-English languages.
It is highly recommended that you Open and Save your machining knowledge file using the Machining Knowledge Editor to fix this issue.

I have done updating knowledge files before. This is the first time I have seen it.

And ideas?

Thanks,

Kai

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kai_Xue
‎04-26-2016 09:34 AM

Re: Warning after Updating FBM Machining Knowledge from NX 8.5 to NX10

Hi Kai,

The issue is with the so called XML encoding. If you open the OOTB XML file in e.g. Notepad++ you should see <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> at the very beginning of thefile. This is the same encoding that is used by NX.

Your NX8.5 XML file uses a different "ISO-8859-1" encoding. All you need to do is open your XML file in the MKE and save it under a new name and the encoding will be changed to UTF-8.

It's important that the MKE and NX both use the same UTF-8 encoding to ensure that special characters (e.g. Kanjii or Chinese or ...) get displayed properly.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Hello Tom,

Thanks for your reply.

I "Save As" it and gave it a new name, but it still shows "ISO-8859-1" in the xml file. Can I just change the xml file manually to "UTF-8"?

Thanks,

Kai

Kai,

Manually changing the encoding is not recommended.

Are you using the latest NX10.0.3 version ?

We changed this back in NX10.0.1 if our records are accurate.

Tom van 't Erve

NX CAM Development

Yes, I am using the NX 10.0.3.5 MP4.

Kai

Sorry, maybe I didn't do it correctly. It is working now.

Kai

I think the reason why it was not changed to UTF-8 before is that it shows "iso-8859-1" in the xml file. After I changed it to "ISO-8859-1", I opened it in MKE and "Save As" it. Then it worked.

That is also why I didn't get that warning message when updating other machining knowledge files.

Thanks,

Kai

Learn online

Solution Information