Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best procedure for multitasking in NX cam?

PLM World Member Experimenter PLM World Member Experimenter
PLM World Member Experimenter

What is the best procedure for multitasking in NX cam if I would like to work on two seperate files at the same time? 1) Should I have (2) UG sessions open, each with a seperate file and set the "affinity" on my multi prcessor computer? 2) Should I have both files opened in one UG session and use Parallel Generate and jump back and forth between them? 3) Is there a technical limitation in NX that makes either of these ideas bad? We are using NX 9.0.1.

Feedback appreciated.

5 REPLIES

Re: What is the best procedure for multitasking in NX cam?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I used to prefer multiple sessions but with parallel generate I tend to use only one sessin of NX. Where I do use multiple sessions is when I m working on two seperate projects, if the parts are all related to one project I use one session, to avoid mixups with multiple projects is when I prefer to use a sexond session of NX

Thanks for your thoughts Adrian.

Assuming you are talking about generating tool paths:

I would ask you ... after you start a path generating, what do you want to do?

1. Work on another operation in the same or related part.

2. Work on an operation in an unrelated part.

3. Go home for the rest of the day.

1. In this case, parallel generate is the best approach. It will use other cores if available. The downside is that for very large parts, there is a pause on startup as a temporary copy of the part is saved. But after that, you can continue working in the part, and just keep an eye on the operation status to see when the generation is complete.

2. If you're bouncing back and forth between 2 parts (not in the same assembly), I would start 2 NX sessions on different cores. Generate in one, then go to the other. This will still use 2 cores like #1, but you don't have the overhead of saving the temp part. The downside is that you need to work onthe other part until the generate in the first part finishes.

3. If you're stacking up a bunch of paths to generate, and won't look at them until tomorrow morning, I would use batch. Generation time is faster than interactive, but you need to leave the part alone, since the batch process will save it when the last path has generated. The last one to save wins ;*)

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thank you Mark. This is the type of detailed feedback I was hoping to receive. I will use each type as necessary since they all apply at different times.

Regards,

Dan Fechter

You're welcome!

I forgot to mention, in case you have not fount it yet, that there is a table in the help comparing batch and parallel. Search for "Comparing Parallel Generate and Batch Processing".

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information