cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's definitly responsible for material removal?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello! Is there a document or a place in the Help-Files where is defined, what's definitely responsible for material removal? I don't find anything. Actually I think the tool-parameters are responsible. Am I right? Are there other possibilities? I think of 3D-Tool, cutting_spun, in earlier versions a contur on layer 2 in the 3D-Tool, ...

This topic is as old as we use NXCAM.

Werner

9 REPLIES

Re: What's definitly responsible for material removal?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hello Werner,

I like to help you but please let me know what is your use case.

* Are you running Verify 3D or ISV Simulation

* Are you refer to milling or turning tools?

In short: Since NX9 it is possible to chose if the system should do the material removal will be done based on the parameters or based on the contour of the 3D Assembly tool.

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM
Manufacturing Engineering Software

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello!

I'm running Verify 3D

I'm refering first milling and drilling tools

Werner

Siemens Phenom

Ok, that clear now.

if there is no 3D Assembly the system will use the parameter.

If a 3D Assembly exists the system will decide what is used based on the setting "Tool Display"

Tool (and the others) -> Tool Parameter

Assembly -> the contour of the spinning geometry of the tool assembly cutting portion

Hope it helps

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Thomas,

something must be wrong, I've tried a lot. "If a 3D Assembly exists the system will decide what is used based on the setting "Tool Display"" does not work. Please look at the upload-file. Don't forget to copy the tool-assemblies into your graphics-folder.

The 3D-Assembly of the tool purposely is not identical to the tool-parameters for better demonstration.

Werner

Siemens Phenom

Hello, please find two snapshots attached it is working. (tested in NX10.0.3)

Thomas Schulz
Siemens PLM

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Thomas,

yes, I'm with you. But what about that? This is what I see if I click "Show 3D IPW":

2016-06-11 07_02_36-NX 10 - Manufacturing - [D1829306_0.prt (Modified) ].png

This is the IPW. And it's wrong. This comes from Tool-Parameter, not from the CUTTING_SPUN, although I've simulated with Tool-Assembly.

Best regards

Werner

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The "Show ..." context menu entries are always using the parametric tool, since that is also used to create the IPW inside of the operations.

You can only use the solid tool for verification and not for calculation of the tool path.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

If the IPW is generated on demand, it uses the parametric tool For example, if there is no IPW, and you do Workpiece > Show 3D. 

However, if the IPW is there, it will be shown. Hint: Turn on the IPW column in the Operatin Navigator.

On the left I did Workpiece > Show 3D and you see the IPW from the parametric tool. Then I did Workpiece > Delete 3D, went to Verify > 3D Dynamic, set IPW = Save, and played the path. Then I again did show 3D, but on the right you see the IPW from the tool assembly.

ipw_parametric_vs_assembly_tool.jpg 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Mark,

you are right, that's the only way to get the IPW based on the tool-assembly: Go to Verify > 3D Dynamic, set IPW = Save, and played the path.

But tell me, is this, what you want? Or is this a intermediate step? In the moment the user always has to verify toolpath if he wants to get the IPW as result of the tool-assembly.

The next question: Where can I find this behavior in documentation? It looks like only few people know about this behavior.

Thank you, Mark.

Werner

Learn online

Solution Information