cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is postprocess file saved

Phenom
Phenom

NX 9 with TC10

When I get this window, where is the post processed file being saved?  and how/where can I set a default location for the CAM users?

Postprocess.jpg

Merry Christmas!!

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
32 REPLIES

Re: Where is postprocess file saved

Assuming you are running native file management, you are probably using a configuration that defines the output location.  Check the current configuration (e.g. cam_general.dat), and see if the keyword LIBRARY_CAM_OUTPUT is defined:

LIBRARY_CAM_OUTPUT,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TEMPLATE_DIR}cam_output.def,${UGII_CAM_LIBRARY_TEMPLATE_DIR}cam_output.tcl

If so, then the output is determind as follows (from the help):

Native File Environment

The variable UGII_CAM_SETUP_ROOT_DIR defines a root folder for CAM output files. For each part a folder is created with the same name as the part file. For each type of output, another folder is created to indicate the output type.

For example, in PART_A_CAM.prt you generate a ptp file for PROGRAM2 using the MILL_3_AXIS postprocessor. In the output area, the file is stored in part_a_cam\mill_3_axis\ program2.ptp.

This gives you a way to organize your output files in a native environment.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Or you can post once.

Then post again.

The 2nd time you post the path will be filled in.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Maybe I misunderstood the question :*(

If you cannot set the path to the output file in the postprocessing dialog, then you probably have the library output set.

If you can browse to a folder, then ignore the above. The location is generally wherever the part was opened from.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

If you are using MENCMachining ITEM to manage the NC code, the post processed file should get imported into Teamcenter when you save the NX file from where you post processed the NC code. See imahe PP1. To be able to see this in MyTeamcenter,follow below

In Teamcenter,

Edit --Options -- General -- Item Revisions

In the right side of window,

Select Item Revision Type -- MENCMachining Revision

Under that

Select 'root_activity' and click on '+' sign to add it to Shown Relations window.

Otherwise, look into the user's temp folder after you post process.

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Your fields are in grey => You are in managed mode (Teamcenter)

There are rules where the PP has to write the files to:

Example from your company:

C:/TEMP/D1727101_1/ptp/nc_program/bz800__s840d/D1727101_0.ptp

D1727101_1 - is the Item-ID

ptp - I think it has to be so; ptp is the the file-extention ot the NC-Program

nc_programm - is the Program-Group-Name from where you post.

bz800__s840d - comes from the DAT-File from Post. Here it's the first Statement e.g. BZ800 / S840D, => Blanks are to unterscores and slashes are ignored

Hope it helps.

Werner

Phenom
Phenom

So the file has to be saved to teh c:Temp directory?   we can't set a company wide location on teh server for them to be saved to?

-Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

More or less.

Note in the post you can close the output file, change the path & re-open it (before anything is output) if you want.

or (my preference, until we get Shop Floor Connect set up) post it to the \temp\ folder, then have a menu after posting to ask the user what they want to do with it (compare it to the existing "company wide server" file and/or copy to that folder and/or open it in an editor and/or whatever else they might want to do with it)

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Dave!

I'm not shure whether you recognize, that you are in managed mode, do you?

If you are in managed mode you don't need a company wide location on the server to save the output-files from PP. You only need a named folder-structure to save the files temporary before the are imported to the datebase.

Werner

Phenom
Phenom

I'm aware that we are working in managed mode, but from what Siemens has told us, we can't feed the post processor file from Teamcenter directly to the CNC machine, so we do need an external location to store them.

Now, having them stored in Teamcenter is great, and we can export the file out as we need it, but that creates another issue.  Teamcenter assigns a random TC id to the file, which is NOT our company part number (long painful story, but Siemens has told us that is the "best practice").  So locating and recovering this file is not easy for our non-TC savy machine shop.

Note, the company is still in transition to NX/TC from other CAD/CAM software.  Many users have little, or no experience with NX or TC.

-Dave

Learn online

Solution Information