Re: Where is postprocess file saved

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Dave!

We save our PP-files as "named references" in TC:

2016-01-08 14_10_30-My Teamcenter - Teamcenter 10.png

We save e.g. 4 files:

2016-01-08 14_11_00-Named References.png

With a special workflow-process we can export this files into your DNC-System. Quite simple.

Werner

Werner
Production: NX12.0.2, FBM | TcUA 11.4.0.6
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@DaveK wrote:

I'm aware that we are working in managed mode, but from what Siemens has told us, we can't feed the post processor file from Teamcenter directly to the CNC machine, so we do need an external location to store them.

Not true (I'm wondering who told you that?)

A Siemens partner (A+B Solutions) sells a product called "Shop Floor Connect" that does DNC from TC.

USA partner/VAR is Hylasoft.

Create your NC program parts as separate MENCMachining items.

There is a CAM configuration that will auto-import PTP files into TC as (named references or datasets) when you save/close your part (assuming user selects them in the appropriate dialog).

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

This is all confirming my belief, that we need an experienced CAM with NX/Tc integration guy to come in, and help us with our system setup!

-Dave
NX 11 testing NX1847+ | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 10

Like Ken said, take a look at Shop Floor Connect before you spend a lot of time on this.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

You can have a Teamcenter workflow to transfer the post processed file (.ptp) from Teamcenter to known folder on common location. From this common location, your DNC software can then transfer files to CNC machines.

As Jobe mentioned in his answer/image, the post processed file is stored under root_activity and as named referance. Ask your Teamcenter implementation/development team to develop an automated task under a workflow where you status your MENCMachining item and specially 'release' status when its finally released for production.

You may need to justify the cost to develop this workflow against the benefits. Capture the manual efforts to do this task to see the benefits. Main benefit is error proof 'released' NC code available for production.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks, I guess now we need to get a "Teamcenter implementation/development team". Smiley Happy

-Dave

Legend
Legend
Thats what we have in my company. thats the reason I suggested. If you know anyone who can do coding for Teamcenter, do not need a big team :-)

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks again.  We would have to go outside for this.

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Revisiting this topic, as it came up again.  Up until now, the CAM users have found the location the .PTP file is being saved in the temp directory, but we would like to put them into TC.

@Mak_Jo

"In Teamcenter,

Edit --Options -- General -- Item Revisions

In the right side of window,

Select Item Revision Type -- MENCMachining Revision

Under that

Select 'root_activity' and click on '+' sign to add it to Shown Relations window."

I was looking at this, and I'm not seeing the "root_activity" portion.  Most likely operator error Smiley Happy  Any hints?

TC_Options.JPG

-Dave

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Also, this is what I see in TC, so I'm feeling that the "root_activity" is not turned on.

TC_Window.JPG

-Dave

Learn online

Solution Information