Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to start to create a Mill-Turn XYZC Post Processor using Post Builder

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

to develop a XYZC Mill-Turn post processor with Siemens 840D controller using Post Builder, it's better to start from a "4-Axis with Rotary Table using Siemens 840D library" or from a "3-Axis Mill-Turn (XZC) using Siemens (general library)".

It would be appreciated documentation or examples about that.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Where to start to create a Mill-Turn XYZC Post Processor using Post Builder

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Personal opinion (based on NX10, maybe Siemens fixed later)

- create a post using the Siemens 840D template *just* as a source file to steal code from.

- create your actual post(s) starting with the "generic" controller and add stuff as required.

I once tried using the "Siemens 840D millturn" template & (after about a month of work) gave up & started over.  Its logic escapes me (search on "CUT2DF" in the tcl file - I found it output 4 places - in *three* different procs!)

Anything I tried to edit, I had to search from proc to proc to proc to proc to figure out where I really had to change something.

Personally, I would (in PB) never combine the lathe & mill posts into one post - just too much stuff is used for one mode, or the other (but not both), so there's lots of "clutter" to deal with if they are combined.  Use linked posts to link them together.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

agree with @Ken_A ,

- start with generic pp templates

- and use technique of linked posts - because there can be more than 2 kinematic configuration

*for example*:

xyzc tool ax 001

xyzc tool ax 100

xyzc tool ax 010

xyz tool ax 100 /transmit

xzc tool ax 001

xzc tool ax 100

xzc tool ax 010

---------------------------------------------
#♫ PB, 5ax, itnc, nx, vericut ♫ #

Legend
Legend

If you have not so much experience with PostBuilder I would suggest that you should use

PostConfigurator. In this you can made more (not limited) Chains for different Modes (like MILL,TURN,MainSpindle,SubSpindle,B-Axis,Turret  and so on)

For each Chain you can define there own Properties.

I work with PostConfigurator over Years and I will not change back to PostBuilde

Regards

Learn online

Solution Information