cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I use a mill form tool (ugt0251_006) in a spot drill cycle within NX 9 CAM?

Creator
Creator

I like to use spot drill cycles to debur small holes, like an m4x0.7, or if a small hole is near a wall.  Previously, I used a 0 diameter mill with a 45 degree angle on a 6 mm flute length and the spot drill cycle accepts endmills and drills so it works.  However when I try to use a predefined chamfer tool to perform the same operation, I am unable to select the chamfer tool.  Also I cannot drag the operation onto the tool in the machine tool view, I am wondering why this is?

3 REPLIES

Instead of a user defined milling tool, use a chamfer mil...

Instead of a user defined milling tool, use a chamfer mill. You can create one, or retrieve from the library. These are class 0205 instead of 0251.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Re: Instead of a user defined milling tool, use a chamfer mil...

Creator
Creator
I can successfully use a chamfer mill class 0205 with a drilling cycle, however I am still having trouble getting the desired output. For example, I am trying to chamfer an m3x0.5 hole and when I select the hole geometry it associates it with a 6mm diameter and .150mm depth and I have to manually unlock these values to be able to input the correct diameter of 3 and depth of 1.5 for every single hole I select. That is so much effort it leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong.

If I recognize the features and create feature processes, it automatically creates a spot drillling cycle exactly like what I'm trying to do. I can even change from a spot drill to my chamfer tool in the operation and it works. However, not all of our solid models were created in NX, so I need to figure out how to manually define this operation.

Re: Instead of a user defined milling tool, use a chamfer mil...

Creator
Creator
Fixed in NX 9.0.1.3 update. I can now use spot drilling with a chamfer tool without any problems. Thanks for the response Mark Rief.

Learn online

Solution Information