cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workpiece select component vs linked body

Phenom
Phenom

Using master model.

We have been linking a body in our CAM part to reduce the number of linked geometries for CAM planes etc.

It is possible to hide the linked body and do geometry selection on the components.

However some selection intent does not work if using the component, Slot faces, pocket faces.

What is the preferred (best practice) for CAM using master model?

1. Link body -> hide component -> use linked body for all cam geometry.
  2. Link body -> hide linked body -> use component for all cam geometry

Also how does this effect FBM?

Thanks

Alex

NX9.0.3.4 MP12

Windows 7 Pro x64

4 REPLIES

Re: Workpiece select component vs linked body

Creator
Creator

If you select geometry directly from the component itself, you have to go back to component to alter any changes,

if you do a wave geometry, you are allow to change the wave geometry just for cam use without changing parent component.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The preferred way is to create a linked body, hide the component and only work with the linked body.

This way you can easily send the single CAM part to GTAC if you need to report a problem instead of sending the entire assembly, for example.

In addition many operations on the component are not allowed or create separate linked geometry, so to keep things simple, just create a linked body on your own.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Hello,

I have question. 

If you make linked body and work with it, Is there possibility to use IPW option in Specify Blank ?.

I use usually two CAM setups for one part, first from Bottom, second from Top (because simulation, fixtures, etc...).

I use this option in Specify Blank for second setup to get actuall IPW from first setup. But this option works only if the same component is set in Workpiece as Specify Part in both setups. So if I use linked body... ? I tried it, but no success. Or is there any way?

Vavrusa Ondrej
NX10.0.3
NX11.0.x testing

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

When the linked body is from the same body of the same component, then this should work.

If it doesn't work, then you need to report this as a problem to GTAC.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information