cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong machining area.

Builder
Builder

Hi, 

I have teached my own feature and determined machining faces. 

I have a thread witch I want to operate with hole making TAP. 

But the machining area is wrong, it should be above as shown in the picture.

Can I determine the THREAD as a machining area and how ? 

thank you

NX 11.0.1.11
6 REPLIES

Re: Wrong machining area.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Threads are not a separate machining area, the information used to machine it is directly taken from the parameters of the symbolic thread.

If you check the out-of-the-box (OOTB) rules and features, you will find there is nothing like this specified.

First try your parts with the OOTB MKE rules and features to get a feeling of how things work out.

Machining areas can only be defined for selectable faces, since they are faces by definition.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Builder
Builder

I have checked the differences in machining knowledge there is no difference which could cause this. 

I think there is a problem with the faces. When I feature with the OOTB it takes the same Cylinder, but from the start, in my teached feature the Feature geometry starts where the thread ends, have no Idea why. as you can see in the picture which i posted

NX 11.0.1.11

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

What NX release are you using?

What does the solid model look like, wireframe and symbolic thread display?

Can you mark the area where you expect it to be?

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Builder
Builder

I'm using NX 10.0.3.5 MP7. 

i have created the Model with basic features and thread hole feature. 

the red marked area is where it should be, also have a picture of my machining area. 

Thank you. 

NX 11.0.1.11

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I think this is one for development, but you could check if things are right with NX 10.0.3 MP12.

We had some issues regarding wrong start depth in NX 10.0.3 MP10, which were corrected with MP12.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Muddi,

First, the feature of the picture looks similar to a STEP2POCKET_THREAD. In case you can detect it as a standard MKE feature you can easily select your machining area in the MKE using oper.Geomtry_Roles.

As a simple workaround, if the thread of your teaching part does not work correctly you can think about using a specific face color for your thread and create a rule for it.

Learn online

Solution Information