Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Z Mount

Guys,

Referencing the picture attached, when creating a tool, under the more tab, under simulation, there is a field called "Z Mount" that our post developer would like us to put the tool gage length in. We are currently using a tool database and I am not able to find this field in the tool_database.dat file, can anyone tell me were this field is or if it is a field we can populate from one of the .dat file?

Thanks

TJ

9 REPLIES

Re: Z Mount

This is in the out of the box tool library for drill and mill tools:

#CLASS END_MILL_NON_INDEXABLE
FORMAT LIBRF T ST UGT UGST DESCR MATREF MATDES TLNUM ADJREG CUTCOMREG HLD HLDDES DIA FN HEI ZOFF DROT FLEN TAPA TIPA COR1 CTH HOFF ZMOUNT RIGID TSDIA TSLEN TSTLEN RAMPANGLE HELICALDIA MINRAMPLEN MAXCUTWIDTH HLDREF TPREF

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thanks Mark,

you are right it is in the out of the box tool file. We use Zoller to create our tool database file and it appears they left that field out which is why I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the help!

hornerti wrote:

Thanks Mark,

you are right it is in the out of the box tool file. We use Zoller to create our tool database file and it appears they left that field out which is why I couldn't find it.

Thanks for the help!

As a general comment - we often add fields or classes in major releases.

That's why we provide a command to extract your tools added to the OOTB library, and convert their formats to the latest. If you're interested - Menu > Tools > Convert Tool Library.

Be sure to backup your copy and read the help so you understand what it does ;*)

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

MarkRief wrote:

FORMAT LIBRF T ST UGT UGST DESCR MATREF MATDES TLNUM ADJREG CUTCOMREG HLD HLDDES DIA FN HEI ZOFF DROT FLEN TAPA TIPA COR1 CTH HOFF ZMOUNT RIGID TSDIA TSLEN TSTLEN RAMPANGLE HELICALDIA MINRAMPLEN MAXCUTWIDTH HLDREF TPREF

Mark,

we are using Zoller TMS to manage and create our NX tool library and they don't support the zmount variable. When I approached zoller about this they came back with the following answer, "I found that Siemens is discontinuing that field in future versions of NX." Is this a true statement? Is the zmount variable going away?

hornerti wrote:

MarkRief wrote:

Mark,

we are using Zoller TMS to manage and create our NX tool library and they don't support the zmount variable. When I approached zoller about this they came back with the following answer, "I found that Siemens is discontinuing that field in future versions of NX." Is this a true statement? Is the zmount variable going away?

That would be news to me. If you can find out who at Siemens told them that, I will follow up with the simulation team.

In general, we rarely remove anything, because we have almost 40 years of legacy that our customers depend on.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Why not use the Z offset ? I believe this is field was intented to be used for gauge length offset

Frank Bartucci
NX CAM COE

[ Edited ]

They have different results (I think.) The Z mount doesn't affect output where Z offset does. If the post were trying to look at tool length for travel limits - but the tool offset is left for the machine - the Z offset would have been added which would not be correct. Z Mount is meant for solid tools but I ask programmers to use it sometimes for postprocessor considerations.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

I believe Study is correct about affecting output. Our post writer decided to use it because the tools are used across several machines some are tool point programmed and others are programmed from the ram face. In order to due the proper calculations for the head length and tool offset zmount was used so it would only affect certain post.

Z Mount was originally implemented and used in simulation by the Virtual NC Controller (VNC, or Machine Tool Driver) to adjust how much a tool should stick out from the gauge point when it's mounted on the spindle. It does not affect the NC output, whereas Z-Off would.

Learn online

Solution Information