cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

approach and retract control

Experimenter
Experimenter

Is it possible to enhance the approach and retract non cutting moves to allow more programming control. example: be able to select a different feedrate for stages of approach and retract. rapid down to above part 1.0 inches, feed down @100 IPM to .03 Arc entering cut, arc on at 20IPM, feed off part .03@10 IPM, retract .100 at 20IPM, move additional .5@100IPM, rapid to clearance plane (2.0in), rather simple example but you should be able to get what I am referencing.

Not to set a standard retract plane or start/end point but be able to control the feed rate for various steps of approach and retract. 

9 REPLIES

Re: approach and retract control

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Turning, milling, or both?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Genius
Genius

Sure you know that already; in NX10, in your operation window > Feeds and Speeds button > look at the footer you'll find "More, finish, ramps, short segments, distance limits, accel and deceleration", etc.

Remember having to do similar a while ago and got the job done using teach mode. Tweaks using the toolpath editor, worked quite well

Legend
Legend

Where????

2016-04-29_1506

NX11.0.1

Genius
Genius

oh I'm sorry my friend. I am all LATHE, lathe only and only lathe these few days. Blame PB for the faulty brain (PB as in peanut butter). You know anything about customizing cycles, tcl?!?

(knew I've seen something of interest, somewhere in NX - just got 10.0.3)

Apologies to OP

FnS.jpg

Legend
Legend

That would be pretty handy if it was ported to the milling side.

NX11.0.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Milling machining centers primarily

Experimenter
Experimenter

this is helpful, but I was looking for additional control, or maybe detailed explination on how to utilize these for each segment of the approach/retract which can be visualized in the tool path replay. trying to not have to hand edit but utilize the cycle/operation. I remember doing this in that other PLM that starts with a "C"..haha 

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

In milling, you (pretty much) just have approach/engage/retract/depart.

It would be ugly, but you could always use a generic motion operation to get "close" to the part

Then approach/engage/retract/depart + cut in a separate operation for the cutting itself.

Then another generic motion (if needed) to move away..

Turning has teach mode, also in non-cutting moves there is an (optional) approach & departure path.

Another option is to use the "Goto" UDE (see bottom of the UDE list, just above the "* Marker" ones).
This allows custom feedrate, but note the point is NOT ASSOCIATIVE (at least I can't seem to make it associative)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

@GEJohn if you get the moves that you want using Non Cutting Moves, you can edit the motion type or set a custom feed rate for each GOTO in the tool path editor. Is this what you are looking for?

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information