Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

can i create a driven point in space?

I want to use a CNGP432 insert to cut an ID. The holder for this insert is a 75 degree lead holder(MCRNL 16-4D). Attached is a PDF showing the tool and how I want set the driven point. I this possible in NX? Current program is in NCL, I'm trying to convert over.

5 REPLIES

Re: can i create a driven point in space?

No, there isn't any way to define that tracking point.

I'm sure there's an ER on this, but I don't know the number (can someone from Siemens track down the "master" ER for this?)

Best I can think of is use the tracking point "9" (center of radius), then use the X & Y offsets to "move" it to the point you want.

NOTE: IIRC, the last time I played with this, the X & Y offsets are ignored by the post, so you'll have to add code to your post to modify the output position as required (and if this is in a "B" axis holder, it gets even messier)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

The master ER is 7692229.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Thanks Ken for the response. So would I need a "custom command" for my lathe post that would plug in the numbers that are put into the X & Y boxes on the tool page? My post does'nt support those boxes either.

[ Edited ]

I haven't done it, so I don't know the best way.

It could be you can just change the (say) X word from "$mom_pos(0)" to "$mom_pos(0) + $x_offset_variable"  (note "x_offset_variable" is NOT the name of the variable you need - offhand I don't know what variable it is)

It could be you need to add/edit PB_CMD_before_motion or PB_CMD_before_output

Note you will have to fix a lot of words

- X

- Z

- I, K (arc centers)

- I'm sure some others.

If you have a "B" rotary axis (e.g. Integrex style machine) you will probably have to use the "custom command" approach as you need sines & cosines to map the X & Y offsets correctly

And don't forget to file a "me too" IR with GTAC on ER 7692229

Learn online

Solution Information