cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot edit Mill_Boundary Geometry

Creator
Creator

When I make a toolpath using Planar_Profile, then choose Curves/Edges, Open, pick the curves and OK I can go right back into it and Edit > Start Point or End Point of the curves, I cannot find a way to do this if I use Create Geometry > Mill_BND after I create all of the curves there seems to be no way to edit the end points. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks,

Gary

5 REPLIES

Re: cannot edit Mill_Boundary Geometry

Trim/Extend of boundaries is only available for boundaries selected in the operation.

What are you trying to cut? There may be ways to get the same result with non cutting moves or trim boundaries.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Mark,

I am milling a very irregularly shaped face on a casting, since I don't know exactly where the casting will be I want to run off the edges of the face about 1/2" or so. I haven't been very successful with any of the facemilling functions, I have gotten close with floor_wall except that I want to climb cut along the walls and that works fine for a path in which the cutter is travelling a somewhat anti-clockwise motion, but on another on when I try that it does not run off the face like I want it to. In the one that is working properly it starts off the casting, runs on, feeds up along a wall and then in X negative direction along another wall and continues off the part. In the other one the walls of the face are rotated 180 degrees so it starts along the wall, then mill up in Y+ but stops tangent to the end of the wall, and that won't do. If I switch it to conventional milling, it mills in a clockwise direction and then it makes a path just like the other one. We prefer to climb mill those, however, it keeps the chatter down.

Gary

A picture would help show the situation, if you can share one. 

Without seeing it, depending on the processor, I would look at using blank overhang, or engage/retract minimum clearances, or some of the cutting parameters like Extend Floor, Tool Overhang.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply... I believe you are a Siemens employee, is that correct? If so I can send you whatever you would like to see in a private message, email, etc. because Siemens has an NDA with us. I almost always have to see a picture or a print, I need the visual along with the explanation.

I have not seen some of the parameters you mentioned like Extend Floor, I think I have seen the others. I mostly use the engage/retract but in this case they will help with the milling along the X, it's the up/down move that I can't seem to get. Overhang might just do it though; I have worked with it on this some but I can try it in other milling cycles.

Gary

Gary,

Yes, I am a Siemens employee - you should see a teal colored S by my name.

We can't accept customer parts through private message or email. Please contact GTAC about this. They can upload your part to the secure storage in our IR/PR/ER system. If you want more help after working with them, let me know, and I can access the part file. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information