Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

creating a milling form tool

does any one know a easy way to creat a form tool by drawing it in nx and then put it in the library.or does any one have detailed instructions on how to define mill_10_parameter in creat tool.

8 REPLIES

Re: creating a milling form tool

Not that I am aware of, but you can create a custom journal to select a sketch, extract geometry, and build your form tool.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Hello jv123,

what you wrote sounds kind of confusing.

There are so called parametric tools that you can use the generate a tool path.

There are the so called tool assemblies or 3D tool assemblies that you can use to perform gouge checks. Tool assemblies are NX modelling parts created following a special convention.

I depends on whether you got a 3D tool assembly of some tool vendor and want to use this in NX CAM or if you have a parametric tool and want to design a more detailed 3D tool assembly that is closer to the read tool. (long sentence)

What do you want to do? Do you use the OOTB MACH environment or a customized one?

Best wishes,
Joachim

In production NX 11.0.1.11 D3

There is a big difference between a form tool (user defined) and a 10-parameter end mill.

Form tools are positioned only by tracking points, and only used in some processors.

10-parameter milling tools are positioned be the shape of the tool, and can be used in most all the processors. To get the 10 parameters, I use a sketch - see attached.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Mark,

How do you link the sketch to the tool?

Damian

Damian Forsythe
Impact Manufacturing Group
NX 10.0.3.5

IMG wrote:

Mark,

How do you link the sketch to the tool?

Damian

There is no direct link - I just use the sketch for convenience to calculate the tool parameters. In the tool dialog, I enter p1 for (X2), p2 for (Y2), etc. Since there are no expressions in CAM, there is no associativity here -- if the sketch changes, you need to enter the variables again. This is not an issue, since it would normally be a new tool anyway.

If you do this a lot, I would edit the sketch dimensions so that they match the tool inputs - for example rename p1 to X2.

I would post the part with the sketch and tools, but it's in NX 11.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Hi Mark,

We are experiencing a similar problem where we would like to define a tool based on custom geometry. Our tool cannot be parametrically defined using the 10 Param tool as the base curve has a non-constant radius.

I would like to be able to define the curve in a sketch and then use the sketch to drive the tool shape in NX. Are you aware of a solution to this?

Thanks,

You can use the actual shape of the custom geometry for simulation and material removal, but not to generate the path.

To generate the path, you need a parametric tool definition or a tracking point. 

To verify, simulate, or remove material, you can use either the parametric shape or the solid model assembly, if it is a library tool.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Hi Mark,

Ok, looks like there may not be an immediate solution. Thanks for your help.

Learn online

Solution Information