cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fixed contour trochoidal milling

Pioneer
Pioneer

I was doing some reading about trochoidal millig and I have some one video from sandvik saying that trochoidal milling can be done with fixed contour op (see video below, starting 2:30 minute). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxW05scvSKY

I have been trying to find this option in NX10.3.5 with no success. Is it possible to program toolpaths like ones presented in video? Benefit of having trochoidal milling with fixed contour op is that you can really program HSM transfer moves that are not available with e.g. floor wall or cavity mill.

I guess that if i would tweak engage moves, traverse and optimize feed i would get toolpath quite similar to volumill.

8 REPLIES

Re: fixed contour trochoidal milling

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You will have to cheat by either transforming the tool path or using the "multiple paths" option of fixed contour.

For your information, Siemens is working on adaptive milling, which is similar to Volumill. It is a preview project in NX 11.0.2, so there will be an end in cheating Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Pioneer
Pioneer

Does anybody has a short movie showing how to setup such patch using fixed contour with multiple paths option? We dont have volumill license and we are still using NX10 - not planning to move to NX11 just now.

I guess it might be helpfull and interesting for many users.

Genius
Genius

look this thread : 5 axis in Nx Cam

and more particularly @CWilson's post

@mkn

The general solution is to use the Tool Path Drive Method. This allows you to take any tool path (such as planar milling with trochoidal) and have surface contouring project it on to the part. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello,

thanks for the replies so far.

I know toolpath projection method and I have attached discussion before.

The method presented in the video is not Toolpath Drive but Boundary so I thought that there is a way to get trochoidal toolpath in a simpler way (at least for Fixed Contour).

They mentioned that this option has been available in NX6.

So it is either a mistake done by Sandvik or this toolpath patern is no longer available with boudary drive method in NX10?

hohi88 wrote:

The method presented in the video is not Toolpath Drive but Boundary so I thought that there is a way to get trochoidal toolpath in a simpler way (at least for Fixed Contour).

They mentioned that this option has been available in NX6.

So it is either a mistake done by Sandvik or this toolpath patern is no longer available with boudary drive method in NX10?

What specifically do you think is missing in NX 10 that was there in NX 6?

With the Sandvik method, there is no special cut pattern. You create curves to define the pattern you want, and then select those curves to define the boundaries for surface contouring boundary drive method. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am not missing anything. The thing is that i simply do not know how to create toolpath like one preseted in video.

Do you know any video that might help me?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Since this video is from Sandvik, a customer of Siemens, you will have to talk to Sandvik how they did it.

From what Mark suggested, you would do the following:

• extract the edges to curves
  • transform the curves to your liking and create copies
  • create boundaries from the curves

If you are not able to do that, then you should attend a base Siemens NX CAM training, since this is part of the first part of the base NX CAM training.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information