cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help milling a circular slot

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am trying to mill a circular slot. For an XZC mill turn the t cutter goes strait in and strait out. I got NX to do that but the problem is that the people on the mill turn don't use cutter comp and the program seems to only program from the center of the cutter and not the edge.  I tried to add a tracking point to generic motion, but it won't let me add anything. Is there a way to get the end of the cutter as a tracking point. Also is that a different operation I can use instead of generic motion?

I later have to program the same slotting operation on a mill where people can use cutter comp. I would like to rotate in with a smaller t cutter. What milling operation would I use for that.

Using NX 8.0.3.4
3 REPLIES

Re: help milling a circular slot

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

If they don't use cutter compensation then the center of the tool tool path is what you want.

No need to output the contact contour path in this case.

Starting with NX 9 you have the ability to use grove milling.

In NX 8.5 you could use floor-wall.

Would be good if you add a signature containing your environment, so we know what we have to deal with.

It must not be as complex as mine, a simple one with NX and Tc release, if applicable, would suffice.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

during the migration my signature got lost. Using NX 8.0. On a mill turn they touch off the end of the cutter(z most point in mill turn) and the bottom of the cutter and call those points 0. I need a path that will output the end point of the cutter. If I don't have those tool paths in NX8 is there a way to do this with generic motion?

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You can specify tracking points for many tool types.

The problem is that only a few operations use them, for example planar milling.

You can specify tracking points for T-cutters and output a tool path based on the selected tracking point in planar milling.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information