cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to Pinch turning with daul turret lathe

Pioneer
Pioneer

can anyone give an example of how pinch turning is done? 

I need to dig out the bearing area of a camshaft.   I need to take say 5 roughing cuts .1 deep each.  Whats the best way to do this with out having to copy the operations over and over.  Do you do one op with head 1 and .1 deep and then the same with head 2 and the copy them and change the depth?

So head 1 starts in the middel and cuts to the left while head 2 starts in the middel and cuts to the right.  then repeat 5 times.  is there a better way?

Hopfully someone can understand what I'm asking. probally doesn't make sence. 

7 REPLIES

Re: how to Pinch turning with daul turret lathe

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

It makes sense, but is non-trivial.

The big issue will be getting enough sync codes out, as (from what I've seen) you need them on every line, and (last I checked) the sync manager is not too user friendly for doing this directly.

NX part

create first operation (e.g. upper turret)

Try to debug as completely as possible

You may want to complete the rest of the program as well (sometimes you may want to change roughing based on what you do later).

Once you are ready

- copy the operation & paste it

- original op - UN check the "Update IPW" option

- 2nd operation - assign new tool (and if needed, geometry) parent(s)

- NOTE: once you get to this point, if you need to edit one of the ops, you MUST make the appropriate edits in the other operation.

Assign sync codes using sync manager

You may want to use the "text" option of the sync to set "BALANCE ON" and "BALANCE OFF" values, then have the post add additional sync codes not explicitely set in sync manager.

The above is for cutting the EXACT same thing on both spindles (typically at twice the feedrate)

There is also the thinking "cut one twice as deep" (and shift it a little after the other tool), which can be done similarly.

Hope this gives you a good framework.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Innovator
Innovator

Ken is right.  Both ways work well.

You may want to add a UDE to your post that places a sync code on demand.  You can assign a local return or custom approach point in both operations and then put the sync code UDE in the END EVENTS for that point.  The custom sync point would be incremented automatically by the post and the values could be incremented from a user defined start number.  The sync marks in your program don't have to be in any sequence, they just have to be unique pairs.  There would also be a UDE for turning pinch turniong mode on and off.  This technique is for posting outside of the sync manager.  The more complex your part is, the less effective it gets.

Good luck

George

George R. Bennett
GRB Consulting
W7 Ult
Various NX versions from 6 to 9
Dell Precision M6700

Phenom
Phenom

Do most users avoid sync manager and prefer udes? We are pursuing sync manager and a kit to see simulationfor ideal with merging applications - but recently found that upgrading NX causes some problems with sync work that was done.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Innovator
Innovator

No, most users use the sync manager.

The situation I described is for a program with minimal syncronization required.  It's faster to go that route than to use sync manager for a basic part with only one or two pinch turning ops.  The example I have is a dual turret merging lathe that is used for shaft turning only.  So the roughing is handled by the method I mentioned.  The rest of the ops are basic; one turret does its thing and then the other does its thing.  Not much actual syncing between the two turrets as there is with dual spindle mill turns which could be working simultaneously for most of the program.

So I hope I haven't misled you here with my example.

Good luck

George

George R. Bennett
GRB Consulting
W7 Ult
Dell Precision M6700

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I used to use a lot of UDEs for sync codes, as when I started there wasn't a (usable) sync manager.

I have since done a couple posts using the sync manager, and it is OK, but it still has some quirks.

By using the TEXT parameter & some post magic, you can get it to output pinch turn sync codes (and other "unusual" sync outputs)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

do you have to have ISV setup in order to use sync manager?

Innovator
Innovator

I believe that since NX 7.5 the sync manager will work without an ISV kit.  I haven't tried it myself.  The ISV will be very useful in collision detection which can be an issue with modern mill turns.

George

George R. Bennett
GRB Consulting
W7 Ult
Dell Precision M6700

Learn online

Solution Information