Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: how to Pinch turning with daul turret lathe

Solution Partner Experimenter Solution Partner Experimenter
Solution Partner Experimenter

I am in v11. Here is a link to our FTP site where I have uploaded Sim 13 and the part and Stock files.

Thank you for your help. This is for a demo for a company that has over 20 Mori ZL machines. They want a Sim Kit and Post Processor that will allow them to simulate the pinch turning. If I can show this it will equate out to several Sim Kits builds for our company.

Pinch Turning
Password: FZcQMC7g
https://saratech.egnyte.com/fl/7cBeM6Ld7q

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

see attached.

NX11.0.2.7, no MPs

1) Your MCS was point the "wrong" way (IMHO).  Normally Z+ points to the right.  I've never seen one where it points left, but yours may.

2) The tools were pointed the wrong way (looks like they should cut on the not-existing right spindle).  Flipping the MCS fixed the tools.  If you need the MCS to point the other way, you need to change the insert orientation

3) operations create & generate fine.  I didn't test post or output as that wasn't part of your stated problem, and that is highly machine dependant.

(Sync codes every line?  Mcodes at start & stop?  M codes at start & stop and no output in "slave" channel?, etc.)

Posting this almost took longer than creating the operations.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Pioneer
Pioneer

just to update my experience.

I came up with a method for pinch turning using udes.  Worked great in NX and the machine made the moves perfectly.  The problem was I was machining a 60 inch shaft about 3 inch diameter.  We could not get rid of chatter.  Sure pinch turn is supposed to apply force in opposing direction however, the problem is, there is a third dimension that the part can vibrate in.  We had zero chatter near the head and tail stock but was terrible as we got closer to the middle.

Thank you Ken. I looked at the operstions and see how this is done. Now I need to sync the cuts. I believe I must sync each roughing pass. Other wise, one tool may be ahead or behind of the other effectivly cutting the entire DOC. I see there are several methods to do this. What is you perfered method?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

The attached zip file contains a demo of sync turning, I did way back in NX6, but it still works. There is documentation as to how and where to place the sync marks. It does lead and lag pinch turning. Look closely as to how the operations were created. Which ones have Update IPW on and off, and which ones use negative blank stock.

Does anyone have an example of the UDE to place sync codes on every line?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

That is not a good idea...

That will not help to keep channels in sync. Just the opposite would happen. Even if it did, each program would have to have exactly the same number of lines, sync points have to be balanced, each program must have the same amount.

Thank you. I have messed with your program and have been sucessful at syncing the start of each pass.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

As a general rule, for pinch turning, I I have sync codes:

- before the "start of path" event

- before the first "engage" move (so if tool change or distance to the first engage causes time differences, I get everything synced up again)

- after the last "retract" move

- after the "end of path" event (probably optional)

I use the text field in the sync event as flags for the post.

Then in the custom command "PB_CMD_xxhandle_sync_event" (not sure why it is named that) I add code to look for the text (mom_synchronization_mark_text) to do whatever the machine needs to do (output M codes, enable/disable addresses, etc.)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information