Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

how to restrict overhang on planer mill

I am using a mill turn for a rod end and I would like to restrict the overhang for the mill tool. I would like that it doesn't cut too much past the planer surface of the part mainly because I don't want to cut too much into the bar end side .  I selected Face_milling_area for my operation.

Using NX 8.0.3.4
5 REPLIES

Re: how to restrict overhang on planer mill

I think that is not the best way, but, do you tried to create an auxiliary face, or solid, with smaller dimensions and use it as the workpiece?

Right now it is going to be a template file and would prefer to not build any other geometry if possible. Otherwise all is fair to get the desired output. I am hoping there is a setting or parameter either in face milling or any other operation type that would allow me to do it without adding geometry.

Using NX 8.0.3.4

Another way, wich also i don't think it's the best, is modifying the overhang by arround 10%. To avoid an excesive overhang in the direction of the step. But, increasing the lenght of the engage and retract move to extend the overhang in the direction of the feed.

I think it will work, and it is not asociated to the geometry.

Try 'face_milling' where you can have custom boundry to restrict the tool movement. Custom boundry can be associative to your part model.

BR
Mak
TC10/NX 9

I'm not sure what was available in NX8 - that was 3 releases ago ;*)

In NX10, in Floor Wall milling, you can set the first pass overhang in Cutting, Containment.

If you have a solid model, I would try to use a solid based processor like floor wall instead of planar milling.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information