Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

iMachining for NX vs volumill

Hi,

Some time ago I got Volumill for testing. It worked quite well but it had its disadvantages.
This week I met with imachining sales rep and he showed me the capabilities. Just at first sight, it looks that imachinig has the edge over Volumill. What i like about it is morphing spirals that might me little bit more efficient. It also takes into considerarion tool helix angle and calculates contact points with the material to predict vibrations.

Have any of you guys ever used both for some period of time? What is your opinion on both?

I will get imachining for testing so I will share my experience later on.

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES

Re: iMachining for NX vs volumill

Haven't used either, but as I understand it, there should be a NX release in the pipeline with very comparable features. I wouldn't be investing in a 3rd party toolpath update just now Smiley Wink

Harri

I might  investigate 3rd party solutions.

Whether I buy or not is another question

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

I had imachining install a version on my machine last year and do a web demo. They couldnt even get it to work in the demo. The rep lashed out at me for being upset that they wasted my time. Pretty **bleep** service.

Purchased volumill the next week. Only thing I dont like about volumill is they dont have a "2d" version where you can control what it is looking at. It always looks at the full part which takes extra time on complex parts.

NX11.0.1

It depends on what you like. If you like control over your parameters Volumill is the way to go. If you want most things done automatically go with iMachining. The ony big thing I like about iMachining that I couldn't do in Volumill was when helical ramping into a part, I couldn't slow down the spindle rpm. iMachining automatically does this. Downside to iMachining, is that it doesn't allow a mixer of climb and conventional cutting paths that are useful for speeding up machine times in soft materials. I don't work at the shop that had the volumill addon anymore so I don't know if things have change since volumill V7 but there improvement highlight video didn't show the things I was looking for.

Personally, like mentioned before, I'm waiting for Siemens to release their Adaptive Milling Operation. This is a link to a forum topic I started a while back and in it is a demo of the Adaptive Milling Operation they are working on.
https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/Trochoidal-Milling-Profiles/m-p/...

Hello

There is an option to reduce the engage spindel speed for ramp or helix movements. After engage move you can choose the "waiting time" to reach the spindel speed for side milling.

2017-01-30_10h41_46.png

Learn online

Solution Information