Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ipw issues

Creator
Creator

hello ,

i have two questions in nx12.0.2.9:

1. i have a part with one mcs and two workpieces under it, i would like to transfer the ipw of the last operation of the first workpiece to be the blank of the second worpiece. what is the easiest way to do it?

2. as i failed to move the ipw, ive tried to generate a phisycal facet body via the verifier and select it at the second workpiece blank as geometry. so, on the second worpiece, the part would be the solid body and the blank would be the facet body. i select the facet body and click OK but when i exit ,the flashlight icon is dead so theres no blank. can it be a problem with my NX? how can i fix this?

thanks,

Danny

9 REPLIES 9

Re: ipw issues

Legend
Legend

I think,your problem was discussed in this topic 

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/How-use-facets-as-...

also IPW can translate from workpiece to workpiece in somecases.

IPW transfer topic

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Reusing-blank-IPW-...

-----------------------------------------
NX 12.0.2.9 MP5 / Testing NX 1847
CanikSoft NC Post-Processing & G-Code Simulation
www.plast-met.com.tr
www.caniksoft.com

Creator
Creator

thank you sir for your help,

i did red these comments but coundnt find a solution to my problem.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Edit the first Workpiece.

Expand the IPW Position group at the bottom of the dialog.

Set Positioning Type to CSYS and use the CSYS dialog to specify the WCS and select OK.

Select OK.

Edit the second Workpiece.

Set the Blank Geometry type to IPW - In Process Workpiece.

Use the Select Source for IPW button to choose the first Workpiece as the source and select OK.

Expand the IPW Position group at the bottom of the dialog.

Set Positioning Type to CSYS and use the CSYS dialog to specify the WCS and select OK.

Select the Update Local IPW from Source button.

The IPW should now be visible in the graphics view as the preview.

Highlighted

Creator
Creator

thanks,

i think i followed your instructions but the second workpiece ipw update did not worked, attached screenshot

Siemens Phenom

Based on the Alert message in the lower right hand corner of your screen shot, it looks like you simply need to re-generate all the operations of the first Workpiece. Do that then retry my steps again.

Creator
Creator

i just did ,but it still shows the same alert. you can see that the firs workpiece operations are generated and their icons are yellow. still dont know what to do

Creator
Creator

it finally happened!

the mistake was that in the first workpiece i shouldnt select ipw on the blank, but regular bounding block. on the second workpiece i followed your instructions and it was successfull.

thank you sir a million!

Creator
Creator

after using ipw blank, my file got expanded to an aditional 20 files due to ipw usage. how can i prevent this? can i delete them? how can i send them via email and keeping the files connected?

screenshot attached

Siemens Phenom

Select Menu-->Preferences-->Manufacturing.

Select the Geometry tab.

Expand the In Process Workpiece group.

Expand the Save in Separate Part File subgroup.

Make sure the Save IPW Model setting is unchecked. This setting automatically saves separate part files of the IPW bodies to cut down on part file size of the CAM part.

Capture10.JPG

Learn online

Solution Information