cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is anyone using the MACH updates folder?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would like to use it, but it doesn't work for me. So, was told by GTAC to toggle off "use latest updated libraries" in the customer defaults. 

But if you want new NX10.0.3 tools, I guess you need the new libraries. 

The problem is a tcl one I think, this is in the logfile:

**TCL_ERROR***: Event Handler: D:\UGNX\config\resource-NX10\library\machine\ascii\dbc_machine_ascii.tcl, Event: DBC_enhance_definitions_and_data, Error: invalid command name "ASC_load_updates_data_file"

I think the command ASC_load_updates_data_file is missing from the tcl interpreter. But I can't believe I am the only one trying this and failing. 

So, has anyone else experience with this? If so, do you have NX in a different location than c:\program files...? Just in case there is something hardcoded somewhere. 

BTW: NX isn't happy about this failing. A lot of things seem to work fine. But ending the NX session doesn't work. You need to kill the NX session, it won't be able to stop by itself. 

W10 NX11.0.1
6 REPLIES

Re: is anyone using the MACH updates folder?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You should probably report this to GTAC with a syslog, so they can see what is going on.

Does it do this with the "out of the box" configuration, or with your company-specific settings?

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I have send this to gtac. But it works as designed and I should turn off the toggle for "use latest updated libraries".

This is in my own configuration BTW.

I am not sure if you really need the latest updates. But I am curious what others experience with this.
W10 NX11.0.1

The updates folder is for Siemens PLM use only, not for user files. User customizations, if any, should be done in the reource folders.

Out of the box, everyone uses the updates folder in a point release, as it contains our updates to templates, and more recently libraries. The template files replace those in the resource area. The library files are actually merged on the fly so that your library additions are combined with ours.

If you turn off the customer defaults "Use Latest Updated Templates" or "Use Latest Updated Libraries", the files in the updates folders are ignored.

As always, if you customize the tcl resource files, with a new release you are responsible to merge our changes with your customizations. We know this is a manual task, and we are planning a much better way to manage this, but it's a gradual process.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

DJS wrote:

I am not sure if you really need the latest updates. But I am curious what others experience with this.

You need the updates if you want to stay up to date with the latest CAM enhancements. For example, we released lots of new stuff in 10.0.1, 10.0.2, and 10.0.3. Some of these require new operation types and tool types, which is why we need to update the templates and libraries.

If you don't want to take advantage of the new functionality, or you want time to review your customized templates and merge in the new stuff, then you can turn of the customer defaults.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I would create a custom template file where only the objects are included that you use mostly.

You can add that template at the top of the template list, so it will be displayed first in the list shown to the user.

Include the OOTB templates too, so that users have access to the regular objects.

If users use a regular object often, they can request to have it added to the custom template.

this way you have the best of both worlds, the OOTB templates and one customized one.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
That is a good suggestion Stefan. I'll consider that when I go to NX11. I just went through all current, 10.0.3, templates and I don't want to do it again for this release.
W10 NX11.0.1

Learn online

Solution Information