cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

licensing or securing post files ( .tcl .def)

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi everyone,

I want to secure or license my post files I created by NX postbuilder ( .tcl .def ) that I provide to my customers. How can I protect them from copying, editing? Is there any way to make them operate only on one computer or license them using dongle or something?

Please advise?

Thank you

Majid
7 REPLIES

Re: licensing or securing post files ( .tcl .def)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

There are ways to do that and it is licensed by Siemens, so it is best to ask your Siemens contact about it.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Experimenter
Experimenter

Stefan,

Thanks for the information. Good to hear that. What module in NX can do this? I couldn't find any clues on the web or NX documentation. I have NX10 full package available and I asked the distributor company but they did not have any idea. Do you have any Siemens contact information that can help?

Majid

Post Configurator provides such a functionality (add expiry data, lock to Sold-To).

For post builder, many partners have ways to do this in TCL. If you are a partner, you can ask on the internal discussion list for some samples, or send me a message to confirm you are a licensed partner. 

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Experimenter
Experimenter

Mark,

We use licensed softwares. We would be pleased if you can provide us some samples.

Sincerely yours,

Majid

Majid

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi everyone,

I asked a question about licensing post files (.tcl .def) last week. Siemens experts (Mark Rief and Donald K. Ford, thank you so much) recommended NX post configurator which encryption by both date and server ID is built-in. It is a great gadget to be discovered later on but it was not exactly what I was looking for. I realized that some parts of post processor engine is embedded in .dll files while creating a post with NX post configurator. That was a clue to investigate more on techniques that NX post configurator uses to create the post processor backbone. Then I developed a tool to compile the whole .tcl and .def files inside a .dll file. Linking and running my .dll file under NX solved the problem, and the cool side, I can now license my .dll files by specifying them to one computer via all its hardware IDs, server ID, MAC address, dongle or using NX license itself. The user will have a button on menu bar. When the CAM operations or groups are selected, clicking the button opens a window and clicking post button will do the job considering the settings as shown on the images.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Majid

Genius
Genius

Incredible to see what's possible in NX!

I'm confused as to why you'd want to remove the flexibility of customization of PP off your own customers. Is this not why they have opt for a seat of Siemens NX at the first place?! That was one of the primary reason we went with Siemens NX - instead of Mistercam or Hyperbill for instance.

Not sure how things works culturally in Turkey but if it would be me I'd be embarrassed to be at your mercy each and every time I need to make a change to my PP. I'd buy the next door's competitor machine and license just to avoid having to deal with a 'locked down' type system. Juss sayin'

Like I said, not sure how things works in your country, but here this idea would be disastrous for our company and especially our customer relations. Or maybe your customers like these sort of things, dunno

In fact I'm not even sure why Siemens made this an option in Post Configurator at the first place either. HYaven't seen it myself but heard once or twice now. Weird stuff imo.... given the price of the license and cost of those machines lolll wt...

Experimenter
Experimenter

Wilson,

Our customers are, of course, free to have a flexible and editable post processor, open source. Licensing and locking the post processor is also a demand from some of our customers. Some clients and company owners does not like their post processors to be edited or copied by operators and users at the shop floor. We and our related companies are quit satisfied and happy with the abilities of NX, which is not in any other CAM program, as you can see a sample. The important thing for us about NX is that we can implement everything in the way we want.

Kind regards,

Majid

Learn online

Solution Information