cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mom_tool_axis is wrong when "normal to first face" is used

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

For those creating shop documentation and determining if a tool path is 3-axis or 3+2-axis by comparing the tool axis with the Z-axis of the MCS, there is a problem if the tool axis is specified through the option "normal to first face".

The tool axis is not set in the operation, so the one of the MCS is inherited.

I have now created ER#7308890 that should get rid of this problem, even so I think this is more of a PR, since the tool axis is not set as it is done with all the other fixed tool axis options.

If you think this would be of use in the future, ask GTAC to be added to ER#7308890.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
1 REPLY

Re: mom_tool_axis is wrong when "normal to first face" is used

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to add the ER text, sorry.

ER Template
                            -----------

Short Description of desired enhancement: <Problem rather than a solution>
    The tool axis vector mom_tool_axis is not filled out if "normal to first face" is selected as the tool axis inside of an operation.

What activity in your process is the product not able to currently handle?
    I don't get the correct tools axis vector for shop documentation creation.

What result are you trying to achieve? (Please provide as many details as possible.)
    I want to be able to distinguish between 3-axis and 3+2-axis operations, based on the tool axis being the same as the Z-axis of the MCS or not.

Do you currently have a workaround?
    I have created a pre-action DLL for the menu entry UG_CAM_INFO_OPERATION that cycles through all operations,
    checks for the tool axis being set to "normal to first face" and adds attributes to the operation containing the normal vector of the first face of the milling area.

Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision Siemens PLM providing for this capability?
    Fill out the smart tool axis vector of the operation as it is done with all the other options, where the tool axis is not inherited.

What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
    HIGH, have all the information available for shop documentation creation

Other information:

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information