Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mom_variable for presents of collision pairs in collision detection

Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a mom_variable that checks if there are collision pairs defined. I want to check if there are collision pairs defined when starting the machine simulation. The PP should give a warning if there are no collision pairs defined.

We had a machine crash because we didn't see this in simulation. The reason was the absense of the collison pairs. Or is there another way NX can give me a warning when there are no collision pairs defined?

Thanks in advance

Niek Eilering

Weir Minerals

3 REPLIES 3

Re: mom_variable for presents of collision pairs in collision detection

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Specify the collision pairs in the kinematic model of the machine tool assembly and it will be inherited by any CAM setup that loads the machine.

IS&V is just doing a regular post-processor run, like simulation external NC code, there are no variables available for collision pairs.

The most reliable solution is to specify everything in the machine kinematic model and update the machine model if NX detects kinematic changes.

BTW, you won't be able to check if the user disabled collision detection at all too.

Generally these kind of checks are not a task for the post-processor, it should only translate things into NC code for the machine to process.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Hi Stefan,

Thanks, for the reply. I understand the PP doesn't have to do these kind of things. Only NC output.

Is there no way to let NX check if there are collision pairs or even the collision detection is "ON"?

I made a journal that adds the collision pairs to machine kinematics. But I would like to see this in automatic mode....

Thanks again

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Different kinematic models have different collision pairs.

All my kinematic models have different collision pairs and settings, so it is impossible to generalize that.

You will have to create an enhancement request at GTAC, so that Siemens gets aware of your desire.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.2, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Learn online

Solution Information