cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postbuilder 9 coolant location

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum here, and fairly new to NX as well so bear with me a bit.

So I just started working at a new company and one of the things that I've been trying to improve is our posts for some of our machine tools. I've gotten all of our post to where they need to be with the exception of one. The operator would like the coolant on command after the first approach move and obviously before the first cut. No problem, I'll just move the coolant command block to the "approach move" block. Well, that doesn't work. In fact it doesn't matter where I place the coolant block it ALWAYS post it directly after the tool change command. Looking in the command "tree" I can follow all the commands in the posted gcode compared to the "operation start sequence", with the exception of the coolant command. I can't see anything forcing it on after the tool change.

So being fairly new to post builder does anyone know what I could look at to help me out?

For reference here is what my post produces now:
"N0020 T01 M06
N0030 M08
N0040 G54
N0050 G00 G90 X-.6248 Y-1.0825 S5000 M03
N0060 G43 Z1. H01
."

And this is what he wants:
"N0020 T01 M06
N0040 G54
N0050 G00 G90 X-.6248 Y-1.0825 S5000 M03
N0060 G43 Z1. H01
N0070 M08

8 REPLIES

Re: postbuilder 9 coolant location

Experimenter
Experimenter
I should also mention I did this same thing for our lathe, and it worked beautifully, So, I'm not sure what's driving the coolant on in this post, but it's nothing that I can see in postbuilder.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Is the post outputting the coolant on its own, or does the operation (or tool) have "Coolant ON" UDE(s)?

If UDEs are used, you can use the *_Marker UDEs BEFORE the "Coolant On" UDE to "push" the coolant output later in the operation (e.g. Start_Marker, Approach_Marker)

Or you can add a bunch of code to the post to intercept coolant codes (from the UDE) and not output them until the event you want (after first rapid or before first G1/G2/G3/G8x cycle) or whereever.

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Experimenter
Experimenter

again you'll have to forgive my ignorace, so bear with me a bit...

Yes, the coolant is controled via a UDE. if the coolant is set to inactive, then it does not post.

Can you explain, or point me to a resource where I can learn more about, the method you suggested with the marker.

I'm definetly not familar enough with this post structure to go editing the raw code, so I'd like to avoid that as much as possible.

Experimenter
Experimenter

i think i may have figured it out. You meant using a marker as a UDE. I'll give that a try.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, at the bottom of the UDE list are the markers.

Note that they require the appropriate non-cutting moves or whatever, e.g. the "Start_Marker" only works if there is a "Start" point in non-cutting moves.

Ken

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Creator
Creator

Hi, I still have the same problem and I recently started using NX, can you give me a more detailed explanation (for noobs) So I can move the coolant to the same place and make it start automatically, please.

Note: when there is no UDE it doesnt output anything, what I want is that it's automatic, something like this.

T01 M06
S3000 M03
G00 X2.2816 Y-.45
G43 H01 Z.5 M08
Z.1
G01 X1.585 Z-.0867 F10.

If you always want the M08, then you need to add the coolant on code in the post.

For example, take a look at our out of the box sample mill3ax post, which will always output M08. In Program & Tool Path > Program > Motion, see where the Linear Move block includes M08.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Creator
Creator

Thank you very much, It seems that worked haha Smiley Happy

Learn online

Solution Information