Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

postbuilder NX10 how to remove decimal point when no trailing decimal characters

Experimenter
Experimenter

I would like to remove de decimal point after te Z, X ,Y movement if there are no trailing characters.

How should I do this?

N140 G0 G90 X225.441 Y986.938 Z700. S789 D1 M3

N160 Z509.

N180 G1 Z506. M8 F1562.

N190 G41 X175. Y984.436

thx forward

7 REPLIES

Re: postbuilder NX10 how to remove decimal point when no trailing decimal characters

Genius
Genius

Why?

I don't remember exactly, but if you check the block definition for X, Y and Z coordinates, you will find the solution.

Re: postbuilder NX10 how to remove decimal point when no trailing decimal characters

Creator
Creator

What is the reason for removing the decimal point?

You may already be aware of this but be careful as I'm fairly sure that some controllers rely on the decimal point to differentiate between, for example, millimeters and microns. 

E.g. X175. will be read as 175mm

X175 will be read as 175 microns.

Experimenter
Experimenter

The question became from the programmers who are now manually programming the machines.

They found it confusing.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you do things manually you try to avoid as much typing as possible.

The NC code is created by the computer, so change as less as possible. The machine operators don't have to change these files manually, so don't change it if the machine is happy with it.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Creator
Creator

If the decimal point is causing no issue with the machine I would suggest you leave it as it is.

There is a way of achieving what you want and rather than echo it here I will link you to another thread where this question was asked. The solution was to add custom code to the beginning of the post processor....

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX-Manufacturing/Post-builder-coord...

As is mentioned in the above thread, this solution will increase processing time when posting and may open you up to errors in certain situations. Any (even slight) errors when playing with decimal points in machine code can be disastrous for obvious reasons.

If it was me, I would leave it as is and would  explain to your programmers the risk that is involved in this sort of customisation and that the con's far outweigh the pro's in this instance.

Experimenter
Experimenter
Hi Mac,
Do you mean the data definition because I can't find any setting which solve my problem in the definitions.

Creator
Creator

No, not the data definitions as this will only work if your value is 0.

On page 2 of the thread, the third post down, written by 'Postino' is the custom code i am talking about. 

Learn online

Solution Information