Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prevent machining holes from z-

Phenom
Phenom
Is there a simple and safe way to prevent NX from machining holes from below in 3-axis operations? NX sometimes chooses the wrong side and this results in a giant clusterf... err.. crash if unnoticed Smiley Wink

And lets assume there’s no access to FBM author, just the ootb stuff.

Thanks/ Harri
12 REPLIES 12

Re: prevent machining holes from z-

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Harri:

When running "Find Features" use the Specify Vector option in the Machining Access Direction group to define the +Z direction (see image below):

Specify Vector.jpg

This will restrict the recognition results to only those holes whose access vector is located at the top of the part:

Selection Results.jpg

Regards,

~Ulas

Phenom
Phenom
Thanks @Ulas, this works, but sometimes I don’t do feature recognition, just pick the holes manually. Guess this should be avoided..

Solution Partner Genius

Harri:

Ok - I wasn't sure if you were using feature recognition or not - so I've uploaded a short video that shows you a "hack" I use with feature groups that will allow you to select a bunch of different holes and create geometry groups that will group same-sized holes together and restrict the results to only those whose access direction is +Z...

Legend
Legend

I often times want to drill a c'bored or countersunk hole opposite from the way it is identified.

Can't reverse in feature grouping, only toolpath.... It's a problem would be nice to have a permanent fix.

FYI

Ran across this the other day....

Sometimes I will put a tiny chamfer on my holes so I can use it to set depth when spot drilling.

If they are a system identified and found hole features it doesn't work if you add the chamfer after the feature has been grouped by the system, even though... FBM wants you to approve the change... and I do.

If it is a hole I manually grouped it works fine, feature updates and I can pick the newly added top chamfer for a drilling depth.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Highlighted

Solution Partner Genius

Paul:

Yes, feature direction can be a problem when creating drilling operations when not using full FBM (which can reverse feature direction automatically).

That said, I don't know if you're aware of this, but you can also change the direction of a feature directly in the Machining Feature Navigator, which, if there's only a couple of features you need to change, means you can then create a feature group with a bunch of features that all point in the right direction.  The attached video shows an example of this.

In the video are two cyan-colored C-bored holes that are on the opposite side of the part - I create a geometry group of all the holes in the part, switch to the Feature Navigator to edit the direction of the two cyan C-bores, then group all the holes.  The resulting FG_STEP2HOLE group contains the green C-bore holes (which are coming in from the top of the part) and  the cyan colored C-bore holes, whose access vector is now at the top of the part and parallel to +Z.

Regards,

~Ulas

Phenom
Phenom

Thanks @Ulas ,

so it seems the best method is to use FBM and not pick the holes independently. I'll move towards this more structured approach in the future. I guess FBM author would enable editing rules that could automatically sort the holes without need for adjusting.  

Harri

Legend
Legend

Ulas,

Helpful bit of information...

Today I was doing a plate with 190 holes all with C'sinks from the back side... obviously allot of work to reverse each hole. Equally as much work to delete chamfers and possibly to add to the other side so it will recognize the right direction.

Hopefully in the future we can just force the system to pick a hole feature in a certain direction, regardless of how it is modeled.

Paul S.

{Paul Schneider}, {CNC Programmer}, {DRT-Rochester}

Production: {NX11.0.2,MP5, NX12.0.2, MP4}

Legend
Legend

@psch_wny wrote:

Ulas,

Helpful bit of information...

Today I was doing a plate with 190 holes all with C'sinks from the back side... obviously allot of work to reverse each hole. Equally as much work to delete chamfers and possibly to add to the other side so it will recognize the right direction.

Hopefully in the future we can just force the system to pick a hole feature in a certain direction, regardless of how it is modeled.

Paul S.

I sure miss Point to Point drilling =(

Dennis Rathi
Creations Unlimited

Phenom
Phenom

Point to point is still there and works as well as it ever did.

in the opt files it is commented out, remove the "##" and enjoy

...\NX1872\MACH\resource\template_set

## ${UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_ENGLISH_DIR}drill.prt

## ${UGII_CAM_TEMPLATE_PART_METRIC_DIR}drill.prt

Learn online

Solution Information