cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

profiling with multiple stepovers

Pioneer
Pioneer

We did a nearly identical part a while back and I was able to take the stock in steps but now on the new part it's just making one pass to the finished size. With an 8% stepover (.500" tool), it should be taking 3-4 passes at the corners (blank is in dark green). I'm using rest milling. Pictures below show the previous part with multiple stepovers and the current part where it's only taking one pass. What's the right way to set this up?

Correct pathCorrect pathWrong pathWrong path

5 REPLIES

Re: profiling with multiple stepovers

Legend
Legend
Use Cavity Mill operation....
NX11.0.1

Generate from the operation dialog, then go to analysis tools and examine the regions. Does the cut region look correct? This is the material the system is trying to remove with the cut pattern.
Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks. I had tried cavity mill earlier with the same results. I got both cavity mill and rest milling to work by simply not selecting any faces. It automatically picked up the external faces. I first tried picking all the faces on the sides of the part and that's when it didn't behave like I wanted.

If you want to pick cut area, the "floor" of the ledge is all you should need to pick.

Also, the rest milling operation template is cavity milling with settings to use the IPW.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm still having issues with this. On the last part, I didn't select any faces to make it work on all exterior faces but I have a part now where I need to clean up only one side face. In the blank I have it offset .200" wider than the finished face. I'm trying cavity mill and selected just the face I need milled. The tool path is just making one pass to the finished size.

Learn online

Solution Information