Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: "DPP" commands and variables

Legend
Legend

On introducing any innovation the problem of compatibility with old software takes place. How "the era of PostBuilder" may be over when there are millions of old postprocessors over the world? To re-write for "a couple years"?

Highlighted

Phenom
Phenom

From what I've been told - there is no plan to change ugpost events and data (tcl posts will keep working.) As far as opening them in PB interface - I hope there is one included in future versions but they may not distribute it. My main point is that there is not much development going on in PB at Siemens according to what they have said. So: I wouldn't expect any documentation to be added to the OTB PB posts.

NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Legend
Legend

Do you expect some hidden procedures and globals without any documentation?

Phenom
Phenom

From what I have read (haven't tried building a post yet) there are "layers" that Siemens maintains (of encrypted code.) The variables that an end user (post configurator machine post developer) would need to know in the code "layers" they work in should still be documented (I would expect) but the hidden code and variable names would not (I suspect.) The new approach in post configurator makes the company I work for now concerned (not being able to know as much about what is going on or changing.)

NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hello,

These procedures are written automatically by Postbuilder. In OOTB postprocessors there is a visible procedure for editing the initial values. Sample PB_CMD_customize_output_mode. 

I you want to see the internal procedures that affect in the postprocessing, you can do the following:

In Postbuilder "Program & Tool Path => Custom Command => Export

Now you can see and export these procedures:

DPP_post_builder.PNG

The internal variables aren´t MOM_variables. These variables are created internally.

Regards,

Phenom
Phenom

This will give you the code that you don't see in PB. You may have to "expose" it at a point that is appropriate to overwrite the out of the box code. Sourcing is one way - or uplevel out of start of program.

NX12.02
Windows 10 Pro

@FROBI wrote:

On introducing any innovation the problem of compatibility with old software takes place. How "the era of PostBuilder" may be over when there are millions of old postprocessors over the world? To re-write for "a couple years"?

If you have Post Builder posts, there is no need for concern about their future. Our postition on Post Builder is very clear:

What is the future of Post Builder?

• As long as Post Configurator is not feature complete, Post Builder will continue to be fully supported
  • There will be enhancements, maintenance, bug fixes and new features as in the past years for Post Builder
  • Execution of Post Builder post will continue unchanged, no plans to retire MOM, MOM events or the underlying architecture
  • Post Builder post will continue to run, no plans to retire MOM, MOM events or the underlying architecture
  • No retirement planned. No retirement today or next year.
  • As soon as all gaps of Post Configurator are closed, then we will decide on a retirement plan, and announce our decision well in advance

If you want to discuss Post Builder vs. Post Configurator, please start a new topic, as this topic is about dpp variables.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Note you can also just open the post's .tcl file in an editor...

(just do NOT edit it there)

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP16/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steamed than e-diseaseled

Learn online

Solution Information