Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

"DPP" commands and variables

[ Edited ]

Does anybody know where can I find more information about commands that start with DPP_**** and variables of same format dpp_***

For instance command DPP_GE_DETECT_TOOL_PATH_TYPE assigns a value to array dpp_ge(toolpath_axis_num). I cannot find any info about these except some comments inside the TCL scripts.

Also I'm curious of what dpp stands for.

μὴ μου τοὺς κύκλους τάραττε! - Noli turbare circulos meos !
17 REPLIES

Re: "DPP" commands and variables

I think all that is documented in the MOM variables browser or in the doc is MOM variables which are NX managed data for interface to the post (for the most part.) The post writer can still (and has in OTB posts) create any number of variables that are not documented. I would hope that the full story of their use is in commands code and not in template code underneath or especially that NX does nothing with them.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

No, they are not documented in MOM variables browser. Actually that browser does not show all the commands and variables PB uses. The review tool has much more information.

You're right, the post creator can use (and it is already done in OOTB posts) his own vars or PB_commands. But it looks like that the DPP commands and variables are very important if you want to fine tune a post processor.

In file %UGII_ROOT_DIR%/POSTBUILD/pblib/ugpost_base.tcl for example you can have a look at some ready made procedures. Like OPEN_files {} procedure, where you can see what files post processor opens at creation of output. Or the EQ_is_zero {s} that checks if it is equal at specific tolerance.

The writers of (for instance) the SIM15 otb post which sets and uses a bunch of dpp_* global variables probably didn't create a siemens document to outline what the purpose of the variables is (at least that I am aware of.) Maybe someone at siemens may have one and send it. You should be able to see from searches through the tcl when variables are set and changed. I would not expect the review tool to list these (but it may - I haven't tested it.) The review tool doesn't list variables changing in post code - it only lists variables that NX is changing through MOM_before_each_add_var event from my recollection.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Hope the writers see this post and react.

You're right. Review tool does not list such variables.

If you search this forum for "moog_show_globals" you will find a proc that lists ALL global variables at the time the proc is run. (possibly at this link:

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Discussion-Forum-NX/moog-show-globals-reposted/m-p/29...

Read the thread for good & bad points about doing this.

If a variable is undocumented by Siemens, use at your own risk...

Ken Akerboom Sr CAx Systems Engr, Moog, Inc.
Production: NX10.0.3.5 MP5 + patch/TC11.2
I'd rather be e-steemed than e-diseaseled

Yes, it helps a lot when debuging.

But a small complain to developers. If you spend a couple of minutes commenting your code, it save hours for "reverse engineering" from us.

I think they are developing in Post Configurator now. This era of development in Post Builder is from a couple years back before they changed systems.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

Also - my guess is that with post configurator the tcl of inner workings may be encrypted (not available for you to reverse engineer) so not sure which I would choose.

NX10.03
Windows 7 Pro

dpp commands and variables originated in Develpment Post Processors, many of which evolved in to our sample posts.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information