Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reference tool inside of contour area

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Here's another one

Has there ever been any disscusion about being able to select a reference tool in contour area?

I know there is under containment,blank ,in process workpiece use 3d

But I can't ever seem to get that to work

If you were able to use a reference tool with steep, non steep and cut regions

think of the possiblities

Again just wondering

13 REPLIES

Re: reference tool inside of contour area

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

There is flowcut reference tool operation like you mention I think.

-----------------------------------------
NX 11.0.2.7 MP10 / Testing NX 12.0.2.9
CanikSoft NC Post-Processing & G-Code Simulation
www.plast-met.com.tr
www.caniksoft.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes I Know

I use it all the time

Just wondering if that technique could be applied for contour area

Kind of the same responce we got  when we asked for the same thing inside cavity mill about 15 years ago

just use flow cut

it works great inside of cavity mill and z level profile

yes i know about z level corner

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Wouldn't Flowcut Reference Tool be the operation you are looking for then? It has the ability to create cut regions based on the previous cutting tool as you are looking to do, and then you can specify many specific patterns to both steep and non-steep regions. For example, I can apply a nice Follow Periphery pattern to the Non-steep Cutting regions, but then have a uniform Zlevel Zig pattern cutting down the Steep Cutting regions.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

As I stated  before I use flow cut all the time

Just wondering if it could be applied to contour area

Theres cavity mill, corner ruff ,rest milling

Can just use cavity mill and do the same things as in corner ruff or rest milling

zlevel profile (with reference tool) does the same as z level corner

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

The various operations of the same kind are more or less show-casing how to set up these operations for machining different tasks.

Flow-cut on the other hand is part of fixed axis surface contouring, you just need to change the drive method.

The separate operations are also show-cases of how one could set things up, in addition the main dialog has some changes to get to the properties easier.

There is an explorer style layout available for operations starting with NX 11.0.2, that offers a tree panel on the left hand side and the properties of the group on the right hand side, which might make it obsolete in the future to hunt through the various sub-dialogs for the settings of interest.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

NX commands works 2D and 3D IPW,like cavity,corner rough,planar mill,rest mill,plunge mill,adaptive mill,contour area mill vs.

Each command has got extra different abilities to other ones.As you well know, philosopy of commands are different.

We must examine which command is most powerfull than other commands instead of asking contour area mill.

For example corner rough operation is the best I can say. But simulation show me collision while this operation is working. But Plunge milling is not. Of course I can say plunge milling is the best according to manner of part.

In the past I was manufacturing a part with dia 20 long tool with APKT tip. I was using some operations but manufacturing of small areas and rest materials was not possible over them.Each operation was unsuccesfull.After that I decided that I must use this long tool like a ball mill. And I machined to part by contour area mill.

According to part shape every thing is changing.There is no a real solution I think.

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

Hello robber80,

there is No Plan to make the Reference Tool available in Surface Contour operations.

Flowcut is designed to cover this use case.

Cheers,

Alexander

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Alexander,

Finally an answer to my origional question.

I'm not he shapest tool in the shed

Just trying use the ole "hey what if we had this type of functionality"

Got to keep pushing

If these type of questions are not to be asked on this forum please let me know

Now don't go and try to read to far into my lines above

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

I try to imagine ref tool choise with contour area.Flow cut ref tool operation in my pocket for corners.There is no problem.

Please look at the images carefully.

First part operation without 3D. Look at tool paths.

Second operation with 3D options . Look at tool paths.

And finally third operation includes cavity mill 50 high feed and dia 30mm tool with R5 corner and rest material clean up 16 ball mill. But I did not use flow cut operation and without ref tool. (It is only for demonstration )But operation worked like working with ref tool. 

I want to ask you.There must a ref tool options in contour area operations?

withoutreftool.JPG

Learn online

Solution Information