Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

surface regions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

When using surface region, is there a way to have it combine faces of a body and say, pathched openings?

I know it says that all faces of a Surface Region Feature must be on the same body?

But when you are using a couple of hundred faces and some of them I created using patched openings or other surfacing ways, its kind of clumbersome to have to select each sheet surface individualy.

I normally use synchronus modeling to achieve what i want.

Then after I create the surface region its only one click

By using the faces of a body and sheets its one click for all of the faces of the body and one click for each of the sheets.

Just wondering

7 REPLIES

Re: surface regions

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

If I extract geometry, create a patch opening then sew them together I can also get the result that I am asking for

But its twice the work and adds unnecessary size to the part

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

It sounds like you are referring to the Cut Area geometry type. In this case I have good news for you. In the latest versions of NX you can add extra faces in the specified Cut Area that are not specified in the Workpiece geometry in certain operation types. For example, I can create some patch opening surfaces on holes and then use those in the Cut Area dialog of a Contour Area operation without having to include them in the Workpiece definition. The tool path will generate on these new faces with the rest of the Cut Area.

This new enhancement is currently only available for certain operation types, but it will branch out to all operations that use Cut Area in the near future.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Kind of sort of

Im talking about surface Regions(pre selecting faces)

it creates a feature in the part navigator

Say there were 1,000 faces on the part

I want to use 25 of those for machining

Instead of selecting those 25 faces for cavity milling then re selecting those 25 faces for z-level then again for contour area,etc you create a surface region so when you specify your cut area you select feature (under the filter type) and its only one click of the mouse

but cant figure out how to combine  face of a body and sheets (patch openings ruled surface ,etc)

it creates 1 feature for all the faces of the body and a separate feature for each sheet

so if 20 of those faces came from the solid and 5 were some type of sheet (patch opening ruled etc)

in the part navigator it would show 1 surface region for the 20 faces then 5 inividudal surface reigions one for each sheet

hope this kind of clears up what i am asking for

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you need to use a surface region for multiple different operations, create a MILL_AREA geometry and select the faces only once. For the operations, select the MILL_AREA as the parent, voila Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stephan,

Like my hero Homer Simpson would say

Doh!!!!!

Perfect work around

No more surface regions for me

Nice call

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Using milling geometry to reuse selected geometry is not a work around, it is best practice Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Stefan,

Thank you for correcting me on my teminology.

Learn online

Solution Information