Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

thread milling with a single point thread mill

Has anybody tried cutting multiple thread configurations with a single point thread mill?  I would like to machine 3 different threads with the same thread mill, but i cannot define the thread mill without a pitch, which restricts it to a single thread configuration. Any ideas?

Rich Grant
Patriot Machine, Inc.
PB 9.0.2
NX 9.0.2.5
Win 7 Pro
8 REPLIES

Re: thread milling with a single point thread mill

A bit clunky but,

3 copies of the tool with different pitch

Depending on the post it will trigger toolchanges between ops.

Current thread milling assumes to produce full profiles using thread mills designed with correct root radius and depth requirements for an individual pitch ...

Your requirement relates to ER 6366726 "Support partial profile : thread mill a range of pitches in a single operation"

Thanks,

Toon

Thanks. That's what we're doing now, then editing out the redundant tool changes. I guess I'll have to revisit the post to remove them. Was hoping for a better solution...

Rich Grant
Patriot Machine, Inc.
PB 9.0.2
NX 9.0.2.5
Win 7 Pro

[ Edited ]

Hello!

We have the same problem, but to copy the tool for each pitch is no solution. We have TDM for tool-database and we can't do this. We need a solution for single-tooth-thread-mill-tools. I think many customers have the same problem. Therefore we can't use Thread Milling from the holemaking-template.

Werner

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I've created a new ER with the number 7922857. The ER-text is

"We need a solution for Thread Milling with single-tooth-thread-mill-tools. With this tools you can produce different pitches with the same tool. But the Thread Milling Operation checks the pitch of the tool and of the feature. If it's not identical you can't create the toolpath. To copy the tool for every possible pitch is no solution. Please enhance your software for single-tooth-thread-mill-tools (Thread Milling Cutters - Single Form)"

If you also request support for thread milling with single tooth thread please create an IR to SPLM and refer the ER7922857 to push this topic. Thank you all.

Werner

Customer count should increase by one in the next few hours Smiley Wink

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

+1 ...added my vote w/ GTAC on this one... Smiley Happy

Kal.

NX 9.0.3.4 MP12
PB 9.0.3.2
Vericut7.3.4

In addition to this I have created ER#7923898 see the description below.

o Short Description of desired enhancement:
    Add support for threading tools that support a pitch range

o What activity in your process is NX not able to currently handle?
    Add support for threading tools that support a pitch range instead of a single pitch.
    When used, this would check that model thread pitch is within the correct range

o What result are you trying to achieve?
    as above

o Do you currently have a workaround?
    no

o Do you have a proposal for the solution you envision Siemens providing for this capability?
    enhance as above - allow range of definition pitch range in threading tool definition 

o What is the level of productivity gained from such an enhancement?
    med

o Customer Comment
    also see existing ER#7922857.

Just to not only ignore the pitch, but also check if the tools pitch range covers the one of the thread.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Learn online

Solution Information