Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tool library stepover

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi

1. in marked area what will heppan if i turn it on? and which value?

2. i have tool library.i want tool to do step down of 50% . how to do it constant?

Thank youtool.JPG

23 REPLIES

Re: tool library stepover

Creator
Creator

whats the version of NX?

Pioneer
Pioneer

version 10

Siemens Legend Siemens Legend
Siemens Legend

1. Since you have a negative value in your stepover, this number will not be applied to your stepover when you select the Set Machining Data button in the Feeds & Speeds dialog of the operation. Rather, it will apply whatever value was previously recorded in the Machining Data Libraries, and the Stepover check box will be automatically unchecked in the Edit Machining Data Record dialog that you are showing here. This is because a negative value cannot be accepted.

2. Currently Cut Depth and Stepover values are constant numbers in this Edit Machining Data Record dialog. So if you want a 50% value for your step down, then enter half of the cutting tool diameter in the Cut Depth parameter here. For example, if you have a 12mm end mill, then enter 6mm into Cut Depth. Then when you select the Set Machining Data button in the Speeds & Feeds dialog of the operation, the Depth per Cut will be automatically set to your constant value.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello @jkane1,

@jkane1 wrote:

2. Currently Cut Depth and Stepover values are constant numbers in this Edit Machining Data Record dialog. 

I would like to ask something about this.

Is there any new feature ahead of us, which will allow us to get feed and speed based on different stepover and cut depth values on same tool diameter? I mean, I want to put different DOC and WOC info on database and get feeds and speeds accordingly.

Is there any current (v10-12) workaround to make this possible?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

If you have different step-over or cut depth, then you have a different cut method.

Separate cut methods for roughing, finishing, semi finishing, wall finishing, floor finishing, etc. allow you to use separate F&S records.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4
Development: C (ITK), .NET, Tcl/Tk Testing: NX12.0 | AWC 3.4 Preparing: NX12.0

Employees of the customers, together we are strong Smiley Wink
How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community
NX Customization - Best Practice Guide

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi @Stefan_Pendl

Well honestly, I don't agree with you, two different operations, which has same cut methods may have different cutting conditions, deep cuts needs to be adjusted to smaller stepovers and high speeds, or shallow cuts needs to have big stepovers and low speeds, in order to get efficient MRR, Machine load, tool life and allowable deflection.

In my honest opinion, letting just one table record to decide stepover and DOC for roughing in every geometry is not a good way at all to handle these crucial variables.

You can also create different cut methods for different situations, like only side cut, entire tool diameter used for cutting, etc.

There is nothing holding you back from specifying what you need.

Why should the user enter the cut depth and step-over manually, when it is possible to let the system do all for you.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.1, FBM, MRL 3.1.7 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 11.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Imagining a tool with 16mm diameter, you might need to cut 1mm depth with this tool or 35 mm or 10 mm on the same part. This will mean many many cut methods. I don't find it easy to use with creating so many methods.

And depending on the depth of cut or geometry, you might need to differentiate stepover also, for efficiency reasons.

User should enter depth of cut and stepover manually IMHO, because of the MRR, machine load, tool life and allowable deflection that NX can't give you optimal values for these.

If I were able to give different stepover and DOC values on same tool in Machining Data Library, I would use that data on operations, maybe with some interpolation involved also to get more optimal results.

It is easy to add default method groups to template parts, the need to always create everything anew has vanished with Unigraphics v16, when the operation navigator was first introduced.

Now with NX 12, which is Unigraphics v30, we are still creating everything from scratch, that is not practical anymore.

We do have the following default methods in our templates.

1. stock 0.0, 0.025, 0.05, 0.075 and 0.1
    • roughing
    • semi finishing
    • finishing (only stock 0.0)
    • floor and wall (only stock 0.0, 0.05 and 0.1)
  2. stock 0.15, 0.2, 0.25 and 0.3
    • roughing
    • semi finishing
  3. stock 0.35, 0.4, 0.45, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7 ,0.8, 0.9, 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0
    • roughing

This is a screen shot of how this looks like:CutMethods.PNGDefault Cut Methods

You can create a journal to add them to existing part files.

With this we do not need to enter anything related to stock, feeds, speeds, cut depth and step over manually since we started to use it in 2008.

Learn online

Solution Information