Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trochoidal milling

Genius
Genius

How can you create the "Tornado" effect for sharp corners as described in this post http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/News-NX-Manufacturing/The-Evolution-of-Tool-Path-Desi...

Is it just a matter of adjusting the max/min trochoidal widths in Cutting parameters? Besides volumill (http://www.volumill.com/), are there any other options for trochoidal milling?

8 REPLIES

Re: trochoidal milling

Yes, you need to adjust the trochoidal parameters.

If you have a sample we can probably make some recommendations.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Legend
Legend

Solidcam is releasing an iMachining module....

NX11.0.1

Genius
Genius

Attached is an example part where I generated some trochoidal planar milling toolpaths. How could I create a "Tornado" effect in the corners. I am trying to create a toolpath where I have large circles on the interior and smaller ones on the outside or vice versa.

A picture was attached, not a part.

Try starting with these parameters, and adjusting from there:

Stepover

50 %Tool

Trochoidal Width

120 %Tool

Min Trochoidal Width

20 %Tool

Stepover Limit %

Trochoidal Step Ahead

40 %Tool

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the feedback. I adjusted the parameters as you recommended.

For some reason, the community forum will not let me upload .prt files 

upload_error.jpg

Would it be necessary to create 4 separate toolpaths for each of the corners in order to create the "Tornado" effect?

To upload a part file, you need to compress it.

I suggest 7-zip, which creates a .7z extenstion.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Genius
Genius

Thank you for the tip. This is what I have so far.

The attached part has the loops in the corners:

trochoidal_tornado.jpg

The reason you did not get them is because there embedding because there are no internal corners. You have blank boundaries, but no part boundaries, and the floor plane is at the top of the part. The effect is that you are facing the top of the solid body. If you look closely, the pattern you have cuts from the outside in, so there are no internal corners -- it is always rolling around the outside, so there is no tool embedding.

To get the path above, I defined the outside of the block as a part boundary. The system then generates cuts to remove all the blank inside the part.

If your intent is really to face of the block, it is much better to use floor_wall, where you only need to pick the top face and generate; and avoid boundaries all together.  

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

Learn online

Solution Information