Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

unable to select hole for hole milling operation

[ Edited ]

I created a hole using the hole feature in modeling and now I'm trying to create a hole milling operation in Manufacturing. In the "specify hole or boss" menu, I'm having trouble selecting the hole and getting the correct dimensions. The model is a child of the Manufacturing file and I have bounding cylinder set as the part blank. I've also selected "entire assembly" in the selection filter. If I try to select the bore face for the feature, nothing happens. I have to select the edge center but then feature diameter and depth are not correct, even though they're set to pick from part geometry. I have to change it to "user defined" and manually enter the dimensions. What am I missing?

Thanks!

6 REPLIES

Re: unable to select hole for hole milling operation

I would create a linked body of the component.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

[ Edited ]

I tried selecting the cylindrical face of a hole in a component, and had no issues.

Note that you don't see the dimensions as you select here in the hole_boss_geom group:

But when I create a hole milling operation, everything is extracted correctly:

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

How is your work piece structured? Is it a component of your manufacturing file? Linked body? Or just modeled directly in the manufacturing file? I feel like I'm using the method shown in the NX tutorials that make the workpiece a component of the manufacturing file without any linked bodies.

AlCLE wrote:

How is your work piece structured? Is it a component of your manufacturing file? Linked body? Or just modeled directly in the manufacturing file? I feel like I'm using the method shown in the NX tutorials that make the workpiece a component of the manufacturing file without any linked bodies.

The part is a component in the CAM assembly, no wave linking.

I created the model of a block with a hole in it. Then File New, Manufacturing, General Setup. Then create geometry, mill_planar, bole_boss_geom.

Mark Rief
Retired Siemens

That's odd; I wonder why that's not working for me. I tried wave linking and the holes pick up fine from that.

Hi, have you tried loading component fully and using exact representation?

Learn online

Solution Information